Thursday, April 5, 2007

Bad Day

Raining, sleeting, awful -- exactly at the time I need to pick up R and her pal. I pack B (home sick day three) and K (we almost all three fall down the stairs) into the car and off we go. Drive around the school block a couple times, no parking and most of the downtown is flooded. It is now pouring.

I illegally park in the hill-y school lot, fuck it. There are about 12 spaces and I am happy to get the last one. Put on parking break, leave on car, leave kids there and go get Rory and her pal. Feet soaking before I get in the building (Uggs suck). Truck back out with R & A; wind now whipping, hair sopping.

Car not where I left it.

Has slid down hill and is lodged in snow bank. WITH KIDS IN IT.

Minivan has no oompf and won't reverse. No one helps. Cotton mittens useless when it comes to digging out wheels. Water freezing on my face. NO ONE HELPS.

Ease off parking break, tell 5 kids to be quiet, and gun it over snow bank, swerve down winding, one lane, ancient road and off we go.

Safe and sound.

Get home, go online, order two pairs of Sorel boots from Zappos and consider SUV.

Mac and cheese poured into bowls. Kids dig in. R says, "Mom almost killed us today."

These are the days I freaking live for.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE YOU DARCY