Thursday, April 22, 2010

5 Ways to Ruin a Perfectly Promising Night Out

1) Say something to your middle child that will kick-start all of her persecutorial feelings in one limb-flailing tantrum -- five minutes before the babysitter arrives.


2) Apply new "luminating" make-up in your one-bulb-out bathroom and notice, thanks to the last minute check via the car mirror outside the restaurant, that you look nothing like Jessica Biel and everything like a very shiny Oscar statuette.

3) Engage in any conversation that includes these three words: sister, in or law.

4) Choose the seat with the best view -- of the glittery divorcees, the incredibly sad childless mother, and the young couple who really need to get a room.

5) Hear your husband, newly released from the clutches of an Icelandic volcano, say that he has "to work tonight" after you order another beer and he doesn't. Major buzz kill.


6commentsBrilliant Person Wrote...

TwoBusy said...

Other than that, how was the play, Mrs. Lincoln?

Zip n Tizzy said...

I'm not sure anyone can follow up TwoBusy, but, is he appreciating the significance of being part of a major world event yet, or just too busy getting back to work after that burger and beer?
Glad you're reunited.

Aimee said...

Sigh! Why does this sound like every single date night I get?

for a different kind of girl said...

Before I can read this for the magic it is, I have to Google "night out" and learn what that is. I wear make up and enjoy a beer or two from time to time, so I *think* I could enjoy this mysterious 'night out' thing if I just knew what it was.

justmakingourway said...

Ha! TwoBusy.

Bummer, man. Although I'm happy to hear the Kid is back.

Also? Persecutorial? Excellent.

anymommy said...

Mentioning sister, in or law in any conversation can separate my husband and I for days. I'm so glad you're reunited after the volcano shenanigans.