Monday, November 22, 2010

Why I Love My Sister: A Short Lesson in Chaos Appreciation

My sister is the person you want with you when you accidentally (?) get bitten by a snake or set on fire. I'm not sure where she keeps her supplies -- she's a tiny person so you'd think you might see 'em bulging out from under her sweaters and tees -- but that doesn't matter. What does: she has what you need when you need it.

(Especially Benadryl. Benadryl is to her what Windex was to that dad in My Big Fat Greek Wedding.)

While I spent this whole day convinced that it was November 21st (and even argued that fact to Bridget) (oh yes I did), my sister has probably already packed her bags and set the oven (in another state) to start pre-heating at noon three days from now. (I seriously would not be surprised if she had some awesome remote control or super telepathic powers to actually do that...)

She's a lot like my mom, another equally organized, creator of happy. For example: my mom created an Excel spreadsheet (or something like it) to make sure we all know our assigned Thanksgiving tasks, as well as a PowerPoint (or something like it) of all the various activities and events during our weekend -- when they will begin and end (to the minute). Do not mess with broads like these!

I'm not complaining. Without them (and Bridget), I'd show up in a crappy pilgrim hat on Friday! With a sack of greasy cheeseburgers and a Yankee Candle.

So the following email? Well, it was exactly the laugh I needed this November 21st...eek, 22nd, dammit.

TO: Picket, Mom, Other Sister, Neighbor
FR: Sister

Ingredients bought - done
Wine and beer secured - done
Outfit for Daughter - done
Making pumpkin bread - done
Warm clothes at the ready for football and hike - done
5 pound bag of flour on floor - shit
Wait...the sugar too! - #!&$@!

Daughter helping with baking - DONE

Freakin' awesome.

***
(OH! PS: Not getting me in your inbox? So sad. Please re-enter your email address over there ----> and if the google gods be willing, I might be inspired to write enough here to make you wish you hadn't.)

4commentsBrilliant Person Wrote...

Formerly known as Frau said...

Love it! Hope you have a great Thanksgiving!

Nash's Mom said...

I worship your sister. If she could swing by tomorrow for just a few minutes and help me stop spinning, I would greatly appreciate it.

Hope your T-day is gobble-rrific!

Cheryl said...

I used to be just like that. Today I can no longer cook, clean, organize, do the superwoman gig. But hey, I can laugh. And this was da bomb.

Oh crap. Word verification. I wish I hadn't scrolled. I forgot you have that. Damn.

Memolka to you and yours this holiday.

Anonymous said...

You may not have inherited that "organized" gene but you both nailed the "funny" one.

Happy Thanksgiving!