Sunday, August 21, 2011

Things You Can Count On: 40th Bday Party

Beginning:

1) You will arrive late and not on purpose.
2) You will tug at your dress -- on a beach! -- too many times.
3) You will remind yourself that your "dress" is a cover-up from Target.
4) From three years ago.
5) You will decide that if your bra shows: fuck it.

Middle:

1) You might wander at the edges.
2) It might be because the bonfire smoke is blowing your way.
3) It might be because...
4) You will wonder where your husband is.

End:

1) You will be delighted that love comes back you.
2) You will feel suddenly OK.
3) Turns out turning 40 is awesome. You are 41 and know...
4) You care less about bullshit and more about... what is not bullshit.

SO, you can count on this:

1) You know that Birthday parties make you thinky.
2) You know you think too much.
3) After everything and all of it, for you this is but one thing:




that makes a girl feel good.


4) You will send your good will to the wind and wish it to rush back to you.
5) You will miss being funny.
6) You will love your girlfriend and all of her birthdays and you will sigh... that you couldn't say enough...

Happiest to you M.


3commentsBrilliant Person Wrote...

Lindsey said...

Oh, wow, so beautiful. Love this. Birthdays make me thinky too, and I so appreciate this happy note to end the thinking on. xox

Leslie said...

I love that song...thanks for sharing it.

for a different kind of girl said...

Getting past 40 has made me super thinking. The thoughts hit me at random times, like today as I was passing through the stacks at work and thought about 50. I've got a ways to go yet, but god, it's coming, and yep, I like to think too far into the future and try to fix things that I don't even know are wrong yet.

I do think you're beautiful at this now, though.