Sunday, January 6, 2008

Politics and Gossip

That Man and I went out for dinner tonight with a couple who are among our closest friends in town. I have recently fallen in love with the curling iron and so left the house looking like a cracked-out Jessica Simpson.

We met them at their house and toured their newly renovated basement fitted with a bar and all. Within minutes of arriving for all this grown-up-only fun, I had an attack of panic. I had forgotten to set the TIVO to tape the debates!

That Man laughed, "Are you serious? Who cares?"

But I was serious and I do care. Maybe too much, and maybe to the point of obsession.

To be clear here and honest, I alternate my TV and web surfing between news on the election and news on Britney. I am as up-to-date on polls as I am on what that poor girl is doing. And I check in on both at a pace that some might consider unhealthy. I know which is more important. I put my money where my mouth is and also on the back of that sad minivan, my mobile counter-revolutionary kid mover.

But truth is, I find all of this "news" to be equally relevant. My fascination with politics (as if that might matter) and my obsession with Britney (as if that matters at all) are pretty much part and parcel of the same thing: I want something to inspire (Obama!) and something to fascinate (Britney!) to entertain me... I want to be entertained.

Politics and celebrity gossip are working. I am ashamed to admit that, and also proud that I have.

Tomorrow I will scope the TV and Internet for news about what happened in the debates I didn't see. I will also check for news on Brit. Without shame.

You want to know who someone is? Ask for the ugly bits first. As for me, I just give it up without being asked. Lucky you. Lucky me, too.

1 comments:

Major Bedhead said...

My husband has a hissy fit if I want to watch the debates. It pisses me off. I used to send him out to hockey if there was something political I wanted to watch but he broke his freakin' foot on Saturday and is out of commission for a couple of weeks.

So, yeah. I feel your pain.