Sunday, March 22, 2020

THIS IS HOW IT IS

If you want to read some lame boring quarantine crap with ideas and strategies and Pintersty ideas that mostly make a girl feel like shit, google on. This isn't that.

We are the people who have run out of toilet paper. We are the people who have yelled at each other more often than we have played all those games you might have seen people playing. We are the people who wonder what the limit is for "together time"?

A happy family is such a wonky model. Shake it off!

I admire the stories of couples and families enjoying this self-isolation, but I am slightly suspect.
I doubt any Monopoly session could fix what is essentially the process of becoming an adult.
No amount of board games will fix what these kids are losing.

The GSYO (sixteen now) needs his friends and school to do what we all have done, what we all did: navigate a path to adulthood out there in the world. B and R are similarly stunted.

I don't have the words to make this better and I don't have a plan.
There are not words that I can write to fix it.

When your heart breaks, where do you hold the pieces?

1 comments:

LisaH said...

Yep - one week in and I call bullshit on all those families who are cooking together, playing games together, dressing up for "Family date night." I'm sure some of it is happening, but with 2 parents now trying to work from home, kids trying to online school and create some sort of an online social life, a house that feels like it is bursting at the seams more and more each day we're just in survival mode right now. I think everyone will have their arc...some will start strong and slowly wane and some of us will start begrudgingly and slowly work our way into a new normal. To put it delicately...this is some fucked up shit.