Monday, September 21, 2009

It's True, What My Mother Said

Oh, what a doozy of a week that one was.


We kicked it off with (more) bad news on The Kid's work front. Fuck.

And I followed that fuckness with a whirlwind of pre-planned back-to-back girly get-togethers. Which was awkward, considering The Kid's sitch, but also AWESOME. Still, you know you've been out too much when you can't stand menus and instead just choose to cover up in blankets on the couch for a movie on Saturday night instead of barhopping with your girl, CarolynOnline.

(Uh, yeah, she was here with me again -- it's a long story -- but let me just tell you: my children call her by her last name now, 'cause they think it's funny and it is, and she and me? We stood above them in their beds while they made her laugh with their sass toward me and she grabbed my hand and waved her free finger: "Go to bed now, Short Drunk People!" and they did.) (So, I love her even more.)

On Friday, we saw our old friends, affectionately known as the Minnesotans. She was my First Friend in the Small Town and we enjoyed a year of very fun, very scary, very lovely times parenting our first baby girls. I admitted I cried sometimes; she admitted she did too. She called me from the pantry one day, where she was eating what? gummy bears? gold fish? She couldn't eat in front of her ever-hungry girl, which I knew and we laughed and laughed and felt okay. Our husbands became instant friends. She liked beer! They were the first people to ever babysit our first daughter: we trusted them that much. It was perfect and I was happy and then? They moved.

They moved home, which made me feel good for them and desperately sad for me. I told my friend when she was leaving -- maybe I wrote it in a letter? maybe I said it to her in real life? -- either way, I told her what my mother had told me: "you will never forget the people you raise your kids with."

My mother is so smart because she is absolutely right. The Minnesotans faces live somewhere in our photo albums but they live better and mostly in our hearts. Our affection for each other: it's more permanent than our photos. It was a precious, delicate time in our lives and we shared it. WE shared it.

And over old photos on Friday, we went way back -- for a short time, to that time -- and then we became old friends eating pizza with (bigger) kids running around. Just two moms, four friends hanging out like always, our lives divided by nothing but geography. Divided by nothing but space. Our hearts? Nothing splits that.

You will never forget the people you raise your children with. Yo.

10commentsBrilliant Person Wrote...

Heather said...

It takes a village. Cliche, check. Correct, check.

Mongolian Girl said...

That's good to know, because not having children of my own has turned me into 'Auntie Supreme'. I love them all no matter what and will help even if they are laying in the floor pitching a fit of the grandest kind. Maybe that's why my best friend's grown kids still give me giant hugs.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Does that mean I need to make some friends now, so I HAVE someone to raise my child(ren) with? I'll add that to my list for the next four months . . .

justmakingourway said...

So true, Ms. P. So true.

for a different kind of girl said...

When I read you, I feel like I'm sitting at the feet of a prophet. A prophet who likes to say 'fuck.' As prophets go, that puts you pretty high up there, I think.

Carolyn...Online said...

Dude, it WAS funny that they were calling me by my last name. And it was so fun to be there and see you. Again.

P.S. I have power at the moment! Yay!

Susan said...

It's all true. Every single word.

Lipstick Jungle said...

Minnesotans are great aren't they? Ha! I think I will have to remember that mom statement - it is pretty darn prophetic! lo

Unknown said...

That's good to know! I love people in your lives who are so close that even if you don't hear from each other in years you can just get together and it's like ol' times. Good stuff.

x said...

I love your girlfriend stories. You and Carolyn need move to the same town and have a reality show. It's settled.
Do dogs count for the people you raise your children with?