Monday, November 30, 2009

I Am Not Bukowski or Toni or Erma Just In Case You Were Confused

There is a poem that Bukowski wrote,

that a silent friend reminded me of.
Bukowski, Chuck was an effed up dude
but brilliant. You should look him up.

He said
"if you’re going to create
you’re going to create whether you work
16 hours a day in a coal mine
or
you’re going to create in a small room with 3 children
while you’re on
welfare"
which reminds me of something another writer said
I think it was Toni Morrison
who said she wrote at night all night while her babies slept
until they wailed then she nursed them
then she wrote some more.

And Erma? She was the first
to find funny what has always been funny
and after the Dayton Shopping News
it was $3 a pop for her perfectly funny genius
but she carried on with the laundry and the cleaning and the cooking
and made real measure of what is measureless work and she did it
On a typewriter.

I have never been on welfare or in a coal mine
or done anything more than once for 3 bucks
and the best I remember of infants at my breast
was waking at four or three or whatever it was
nearly weeping
to get back to sleep, no thought of anything
creative
but a dream I wished to continue
and the pat pat of a burp's sweet relief and
my pillow.

I can't keep up the pace.
I am not committed
nor talented nor funny nor able enough
to tell and write and thinky think
and tend and mend with my whole self
which I need to do and which I don't regret
And also sometimes
I just want to watch bad TV.

So I'm gonna be a lazy creator when I can
(when I want to be)
stringing words on gossamer and iffy ideas
stringing dirty socks out a window and hauling them home
like I do, like I've done and sometimes regret...

I've strung up myself enough
for long enough, for longer than I thought,
to worry too much about
why I do it or worse, to worry about
that or Chuck and Toni and Erma
or
this.

3commentsBrilliant Person Wrote...

Heather said...

What do writers do? They write. They write their lives and that is just what it should be.

x said...

I third C's comment, even the especially the edible penis part.

TwoBusy said...

No apologies necessary. Not even a little bit. You do what you do when you can do it. We're cool with that.