Friday, November 13, 2009

Just A Typical Afternoon Striking Poses

Mid-afternoon on a very grey day while the Small Town awaits big rain and not much else, the Short Drunk People and I practice our model struts.


I don't know how it was that this came to happen exactly, except to say that we'd been chatting about the way another mom's butt moves when she walks. Naturally, I found this hilarious because the Drunks were pretty accurate in their description of this cute trait of hers. And naturally, I also got to wondering if my butt had its own little habit...

There are many benefits to having kids, like the gift of giving and receiving unconditional love for example, but there's also their ability to evaluate the quality of the shake in your ass. It's one of those things the parenting guidebooks usually overlook, but trust me, it's true.

So anyway, we each take turns walking and alternately, watching. We tip our heads sideways like critics at an art gallery, like scientists, all serious but for our laughing: we realize how ridiculous this experiment of ours is and also, the word "butt" is just plain funny.

(Say it to the GFYO. Throw in "poop" too and that kid will fling himself to the floor in rapturous appreciation of the humor. I've seen it happen many, many times so I know.)

It's after we have measured the unique qualities of our gluts in motion that we decide to roll out the catwalk, and by that I mean, we move chairs to make a path for our showmanship. We take turns wearing my boots, which seem very chic in the moment, and we high-step it up and down the kitchen floor.

And that's how it came to pass that on a dismal November after-school Friday with not much to do and not much to look forward to doing, me and the Short Drunk People worked it.

And it was fierce.

6commentsBrilliant Person Wrote...

for a different kind of girl said...

You are either in or you are out. You are in! Can I come over and work it, too?

Susan said...

Who needs a mirror when there are kids around? They can imitate things with such precision it's a little alarming and sometimes I wish they wouldn't.

Heather said...

Purrfect. Doodle and I dance to Beyonce and Shakira every now and again.

There's choreography, just sayin'

For Myself said...

Throw in a microphone and I'm THERE, sister.

justmakingourway said...

I can SO picture that happening in your house. Awesome.

Carolyn...Online said...

Oh my, I would have loved to have seen Rory struttin' in the boots.