Saturday, December 19, 2009

My Son? He's In A Van Down By the River

The GFYO has plotted a path for his future.


For months, he's been talking about where he will live when he doesn't live here. I figure this is classic five year old psycho-social development stuff and I bet there is even a book for it. I mostly despise books like that, FYI, because they just make me feel awful.

Anyhoo, the GFYO is transfixed on his personal vision of the future and his Van. We ask him if he means a trailer or a camper and every time, we get nothing. The Kid describes an Airstream to the GFYO, wishing and hoping his kid was that cool... But nope.

The GFYO wants a Van.

I say, like Scooby?
NO! he says.
Like what then? I say.

He says his van will have a fridge and a bed and...




You can't see this whole picture or make sense of it, but it is, in fact, THE VAN.

There is the steering wheel (picture right) and the table in the middle -- "for eating stuff and playin' games" -- and then to the right of the table are the bunk beds. Bunk beds. He put bunk beds in His Van because apparently?

When the GFYO lives down by the river in his wikkid cool Van, he's gonna need a place for his Mommy and his Dad.

I am so proud.

9commentsBrilliant Person Wrote...

MYSUESTORIES said...

Ohhhhh..but he dreams of the day he moves out!!! Don't you dare squelsh this dream!!!!! HE is the child I hope I am raising!

Mongolian Girl said...

No worries, I'm 43 and still dreaming of a VW Eurovan or Vanagon that will be maxed out for ease of living and will take me all over the map to see all that I want to see. I'm just trying to figure out how to get the husband, 4 dogs and all of the horses involved.

patty said...

In lieu of an actual motivational speaker, I showed that clip at a 700 person sales meeting.

I think a van down by the river is a fine aspiration.

Susan said...

Wasn't there an email floating around about a mad cool garbage truck? If not and I imagined it, the GFYO should make one.

Heather said...

I have a friend that lived in a van for one year in college.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

My husband is 29 years old and still dreams of owning a conversion van.

And around here, there are actually gatherings called "van-ins," where van owners all park in big fields in their vans and . . . do whatever it is one does at a van-in. Smoke a lot of dope, probably.

justmakingourway said...

That is one fly van. Maybe he could start a whole new van craze. This is just the beginning!

Carolyn...Online said...

Dude. Really. Kipp is going to be the coolest river-side, van-living hipster ever. And the bunkbeds? That'll be for the laydees.

Zip n Tizzy said...

I'm so glad to discover that my 5 year old is not the only one planning his escape. However, mine has firm convictions that he will live alone. Apparently I'll be allowed to visit.