Monday, June 21, 2010

Solstice Slobbery Sweat Redemption

Today, pagans dance around Stonehenge, but tomorrow, at 3:00pm EST, summer officially begins in the House of Picket. At 3:00, the Short Drunk People will be in full on schools-out-for-summer mode which basically means that shoes will be ditched for the season and dirt and sand will become the new haute couture.


I should have spent the day stocking up on popsicles for the neighbor kids, but alas, I am without wheels. In the last few days, the Kid's fancy phone and his less than fancy car done broke. Good timing Karma! It's not like anyone's stressed out about paying for a couple weeks of over-priced camp or say, food. So wheel-less (and grocery-less) (and coffee-less), I did the next best thing: I organized everyones' rooms. In crazy upstairs heat.

Too-small hoodies and thermal shirts went in the give-away pile; t-shirts and shorts got neatly tucked into drawers. I found the stash of clothes from last summer (the one I usually forget where I have stored) and I weeded through that pile, amazed at two things: how much all three have grown and how ridiculous it was for me to hang on to those chocolate ice cream stained bermudas. I went through the book shelves and through the buckets and bins loaded there with a year's worth of collected treasures -- mini bubble bottles, lava rocks, half-busted pencils, faded stickers, Easter candy. (If anyone asks, I have no idea where any of that stuff is...)

I am glad it's done, but let me confess. I did not do it to prepare for the onslaught of summer, because frankly, finding school notebooks and soccer socks seems way more chaotic then the lushness of a July day with nothing to do. I did it because my (twice-monthly) cleaning lady told me to.

Let me explain: the Florida girloliday ran smack into end of the year hyperactivity including the luncheons and tournaments and two hour tryouts and field trips and Small Town ballot questions and in the process, there was some -- how shall I say? -- lax domestic skills on my part. And that one Tuesday when the cleaning lady was coming? Um, I forgot. And if I'd remembered? It wouldn't have mattered. The bomb had exploded and there was shrapnel everywhere. Including the breakfast dishes, hardened in syrupy crust, left out on the counter. And at least one toilet left unflushed, which the Short Drunks are quite famous for.

Anyhoo, so I spent today, the Solstice, not in meditation or even communing with nature weeding, but in a rush of "i'm gonna show her" cleaning, because dammit, I can not handle another note like this one:




Also, I hid all the pens and all the paper, including the paper napkins, just to hedge my bets.

11commentsBrilliant Person Wrote...

Carolyn...Online said...

So basically you just told your cleaning lady that no one puts Darcy in the corner.

Cheryl said...

Showed her! Damn you're good.

Cindy S said...

Did you just hear that laughter? Me. Around the corner. Out loud.

Hilarious.

CaraBee said...

Your cleaning lady asked you to clean your house? Now that's some fucking irony. I'd be looking for a new cleaning lady.

A Free Man said...

I forgot the solstice. I guess because here it's the winter solstice and who, really, wants to recognise that!

Kevin McKeever said...

I'd solstice that note writer for sure.

mamazyd said...

Hilarious!
Can you make her a nice cup of tea next time she comes?

X said...

I thought that was her job. And, I don't at all mean that in a condescending way.

for a different kind of girl said...

I trust she'll be paying you for your hard work next time she comes around?

Susan said...

Carabee nailed my thoughts exactly! Of course, I'd want to leave a snipey note, "Hi Karla. Can you do your fucking job without judgment today? After all, if I did the work for you, you wouldn't have a job would you? Thank you, Darcy." And then I'd leave EVERY toilet unflushed.

minivan soapbox said...

I have an organizing problem...Seriously...It will keep me up at night with little projects that need to be done. Ooohh The Bins I Can Buy! The LABEL MAKER! FUN! Seriously - next time, call me. You can pay me in beer. :)