Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Ch-ch-changes

Something strange is afoot in the House of Picket.

Rory has asked me twice (in as many days) for a hairbrush. She has been turning down the corners of a clothes catalog. She tried on a dress while on vacation and today spent a solid 8 hours with a best (girl) friend without 1) breaking a bone, or 2) requiring sutures.

I am not sure if it's the three days of rain and maybe some weird disease from all the mold that surely is growing in the petri dish of my basement, but I think the tomboy is getting more girly less tomboyish.

I got an inkling last March that things might change. One of her friends started making plans for their co-Halloween costume (it's never too early to prep for the quest for candy): he'd be the monkey and she'd be the banana. This seemed perfectly apropos until I noticed that he blushed when he talked to her, and that she kinda did when I asked her about it. Suddenly, the whole monkey/banana thing took on a life (in my head) of its own, but I get it. When I was in third grade, an anonymous suitor left cash in my desk for two months. CASH! It was usually ones but once, I found a crumpled twenty in there and the teacher stood in front of the classroom and demanded that the giver confess. He did -- but more than 10 years later at a bar during Thanksgiving break.

The thing is, as much as I knew someday someone might be um, well leaving cash for her sounds completely wrong but you know what I mean, I still feel a little sad about it. Granted I wish she wouldn't scar up her knees (as much as mine) or take as many risks (as I did, when I was her age), but I am completely down with the messy, tom-boy look (still). Granted, a child (or grownup) who leaves the house appearing less like she just rolled out of bed is a potentially good thing, but still. Still. Sigh.

I never anticipated milestones like these.

7commentsBrilliant Person Wrote...

Carolyn...Online said...

Not RO!!!!

for a different kind of girl said...

First, she's gorgeous. So, so very.

Yesterday, I had to confiscate my oldest's cell phone. Let's just say his text messages made for some interesting reading. Apparently he's been lying to me when I ask him if he likes any particular girl. "Eh, I mean, maybe. I do know a girl who likes me, though," he says.

Hell yeah she likes him. Her texts are duh-ramatic...and his back are equally as much. Good god, can't we just hold them and feed them bottles and keep them tiny? It's hard, but it's so much easier!

Wendi said...

She is so adorable--she has freckles just like my boys.

I don't think I'm ready for this all to begin, either.

Amy W said...

My 10 year old son, just on the verge of turning 11, just picked out all his own "going back to school clothes" for the very first time. He selected each one and then modeled them for me in the dressing room area, and most wondrous of all, took my advice when I suggested some things looked better than others.

I almost cried from fear that he is getting older and relief that he is finally coming into his own. It is a delicate balance that I am unsure which side to get on, quite honestly.

p.s. my captcha word is "honedg" -- way too close to "horn dog" for my liking!

Cheryl said...

She's gonna be a hearbreaker. Just look at that face, that hair, those freckles. Oy. I feel your pain.

Momo Fali said...

Cash? Did you at least do his homework? Did you have a pimp?

I hate the growing up stuff. I wish my kids could have stayed two forever.

Susan said...

Damn. Some girls get all the crumpled 20s.