Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Child Ode

In the interest of thinking positive, what with all the doom and gloom, this is the first of three Odes to the Short Drunk People. I figure if there ever was a time to take stock of what is loved, now is it. And since I suck at math, better I do  this than count blessings:

When I was pregnant with her, I knew her. I knew she would be more like me than my first born and that I would pay for it. I knew she would have freckles. I named her Rory before her hair turned reddish and I pronounced that I hoped she would be "scrappy" before she showed any kind of signs of scrappy. Which she did, at 13 months.

She climbed out of her crib before she could walk. She got out of the tent we put over her crib and climbed out again. She put a stick through a belt and called it a sword. It was the last time she wore a skirt, which was plaid: she was Braveheart to me. 

She had temper tantrums that lasted for 45 minutes and brought me to my crying, sniveling knees. She had chronic ear infections until the tubes and she could not tolerate a hair brush or the seam on a sock or any idea of being wronged. Her father said she had "a keen sense of justice" and I admired him for his way with words, for spinning Her so beautifully. 

She could not find a shoe that lay in front of her but she could kick or throw or dunk the hell out any ball. She saw her sister ride a bike and jumped on one at 3 and sped off: the lump on her head was so huge, even my mother gasped. She was doing wheelies in a year. 

She doesn't scream and cry for hours now, but she has attitude that still breaks me. She can be sweet and pie and chocolate but she isn't anyone's chump and she lets me know. She will not be unheard or unseen and she will slam doors and fight back. She scratches and pinches her sister and hurls angry words at me and her dad. When she wants something, she gets it: the Principal's Award, the spot on the team, the last ice cream bar in the freezer. She is passion in every way.  She turns on a dime.

She came home today with her ear-flapped hat tucked down to her eyebrows, eyebrows that are barely visible, as pale as they are. Her clunky boots kept perfect time with her thundering self and even after she shed them, her thump-thumpness through the house made us who were waiting for her feel happy. She was here with us again: her fat lips and crooked teeth, her raspy hummingbird voice, her twinkle and wink, her crabby and happy on a knife's edge, none of us ever knowing who she will be today. But she was home and we liked it.

She kissed me smack on the lips, leaving gobs of spit behind. She waltzed down the hall with her brother, arm and arm on her cue, to the bath she fills up and indulges The GFYO with, because he loves "swimming" with her; she'd prefer a shower or better yet, dirt. She put on the pajamas she will wear to school tomorrow and hugged me all hot and steamy and snarled-haired. She slurped ice cream and cuddled her sister, wrapping around her like a kitten, and covered her eyes when the couple on TV kissed. 

I knew her before she was born so sometimes I wonder if I dreamed her into reality. But even though I am her mother and she is seven and I can still tell her to go to bed and clean it up and correct that part of the homework, and even though she will do it, I know their is no part of me that has any real claim to her. I know there is nothing I have done beyond the science of it to make her up: she is who she will be, a product of me and him for sure, but a person all her very own. A person who showed up here for us and for me -- my freckled miniature, my better wish, a lesson in my own futility: Her.

20commentsBrilliant Person Wrote...

Meg said...

You are going to have so much fun when she's a teen!!!

MsPicketToYou said...

Fun! AHHHH! Fun is a relative word, right Meg?

I'll still want to know her though... Sure of that.

For Myself said...

You just have to love a kid who kisses her mom on the lips and leaves gobs of spit behind. I mean...you really do have to love the hell outa that.

Beautiful post about a beautiful girl.

Anonymous said...

You've made my entire tummy happy with this post. There is nothing, and I do mean NOTHING, that I admire more than a parent who loves a kid like this.

Leslie said...

Picket...she's amazing. And your descriptive ability is even more amazing. I cannot wait to read about the other two.

Heather said...

I love this.

She seems a little like her mother.

Carolyn...Online said...

Sigh. That was beautiful. I love that you know her so well and love her so well.

for a different kind of girl said...

Adore, adore, adore.

I absolutely mean that, and it's not a way to butter you up as I now tell you that I am going to definitely be using that 'keen sense of justice' description when my own 7 year old blazes through our (HIS!) house.

Anonymous said...

Love it all, but especially the conclusion: "a lesson in my own futility."

Niiiiice.

RhoRho said...

Love this. Have to do it, if just for them to read later...
Thx for coming by; The debauchery was out in Cali and I've been out of blog-touch. Glad ya'll haven't left me.

cIII said...

Makes me want to wake the Smallish One from her nap and cuddle the shit out of her.

Almost.

PS. I'd be happy to accompany you and C. to BlogHer....I reckon someone will have to post bail.

Anonymous said...

That was lovely, Ms. Picket. Just lovely. She sounds like my kinda girl.

Jen W said...

What a great post. I can see her, really see her in my mind from your words.

Susan said...

Holy crap, what an amazing description of an amazing girl. (The word amazing is so overused but in this case it just IS). "her crabby and happy on a knife's edge,". I think I already said it but Holy Crap! You can write. And you have a lovely daughter.

The Floydster said...

Thank you for sharing her this way with all of us.

Aimee said...

Um, could Baby G and her be related? You could have been writing about Baby G here.

A Free Man said...

This is fantastic, Ms. Picket - a non-sappy ode to one of your kids. Rare indeed!

Nash's Mom said...

She really is unique and wonderful and you described her perfectly! I remember the crib tent !! She was/is a girl on a mission and I don't think anything is ever going to stop her from getting exactly what she wants.

Are you available to write about other kids? Cuz I'll totally pay you to craft something like this about my kid. Seriously.

Deeples said...

This will be one of Rory's greatest treasures, one day.

Well done, you.

patty said...

"She is passion in every way."

Now where... where?? could she have gotten this trait from?

I don't know you, except through your words. But tell me... tell me that's not you!