Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Halloween Thought Number One


In Target, the pumpkin pot-holder met all the criteria for purchase: so cute (with emphasis), useful (I need it!), and cheap (how can this possibly affect the bottom line). I swooped it up triumphantly, if not a little smugly, and took it home to hang on the handle of my sleek stainless steel oven.

Now?

Its’ toothless grin leers back at me every day, all orange and taunting, as if to remind me: yes, this IS the woman you have become.

A woman with holiday-themed pot-holders.

What’s next? A Christmas sweater that lights up and sings carols? Cookies baked from scratch? Permission slips returned the next day with “An Apple for Your Teacher” sticker smacked on it?

It’s a good thing I consider Halloween pretty much a National Holiday or else I might have grabbed that stinkin’ pumpkin and stuck both our heads in the oven.

2commentsBrilliant Person Wrote...

Major Bedhead said...

You will know that hope is lost when you start buying holiday socks and matching earrings. My mother does this. I have left strict instructions for my family that if I ever do the same, they should gently but firmly put me out of my misery.

sarahclawson said...

Stop going to stupid stores like that and you might stop buying stupid things... Is that incendiary enough?