Friday, January 9, 2009

Girl Fight

The girl fight thing, the Queen Bees, the verbal black eyes that young girls give: it totally freaks me out. While I understand intellectually that it happens and while I understand how hormonally it ramps up, I do not understand why, after all of everything, we chicks need to repeat this nonsense ad vomit for ever and ever. Like starting at age 9, in the 4th grade. Like it's starting for my kid. 

The drama! The holy drama surrounding this fly-weight girl who flits and flutters and bumps into walls and who can not seem to make it through one day without tripping over her own limbs! I am not even sure she sees the drama and what she does see, she doesn't see clearly (hence the wall crashing). I am on the fence as to whether this is a good or a bad thing, but she is about a half meadow filled with fairies and play dough from the fence that separates her childhood from her tween-dom so I want to scream: beware! They are mines buried along the way.

We could have held her back. But when she was just-turned-five, she marched off to kindergarten with a round baby face and we rationalized that she wouldn't be driving until late in her senior year (we know, too well, how bad things can happen with cars). Plus, I had two other kids at home (calgon!) and so, she was "ready." And she was. She always has been, at least as far as the alphabet and multiplication goes.

But the kindergarten teacher warned me that her immaturity might make a difference (her being younger, in some cases by a full year, than her classmates), and because everything we know about kids happens in kindergarten, naturally that teacher was right. (For instance, I am pretty sure it was Ms. Sessions who said I was a "leader" aka "bossy" with "much on my mind" aka "a big mouth" when I was in kindergarten.)

I don't think Bridget has done anything "not nice" on purpose, and I am pretty sure she doesn't even know when "not nice" things are done to her. But I have this regrettable urge to say "which one of my kids did it" when something breaks in the background, so I worry, worry, worry. Is there something I am not seeing? Not doing? Is there any way I can stop any of this from happening at all? 

Today we were watching Made on MTV (don't ask why: alright I will yell you: because Rory loves anything having to do with skateboards) and this girl, who had spent a year sick at home with allergies, had this mom who was so incredibly overbearing, it forced me to go off on one of my useless speeches. I started with "that mom is pretty much waiting for her daughter to fail at skateboarding because she is so worried that she will and that it will hurt and that oh.my.god what if she bleeds or cries or can't do it" and my kids were all oh wait, is mom talking so naturally I kept going (teaching moment! ding ding! ten extra points)... but I will spare you the details.

The point is, I realized that not only was I literally talking to my own damn self, but I was actually talking to myself. So I sat down. I shut up. I listened to what I was thinking. And, with two of my kids, I watched frickin' MTV -- MTV! -- the incubator of my music lust that abandoned me when it opted for girl fights over Art a long, long time ago and which now was making me think about parenting and also, well, um, girl fights. 

I hate it when reality TV serves a purpose. 

So we watched together for a while and then I got up to make dinner. The flame shot up as Bridget walked over. "Watch out," I hurled. "Hot!" I said. 

She looked at me with the same eyeballs she had when she lay on my chest after 36 hours in labor, and she said, Mom. 

Mom, um. Mom? It's not a skateboard.

(And Rory said "it's MY skateboard") (Naturally.)

So Bridget poured a box of organic noodles into a pot and stirred them. Not for the first time mind you, but it felt different this time. And I swear I heard the opening notes of Thriller when she did.

She can fight her own fights

18commentsBrilliant Person Wrote...

Meg said...

Of course she can. She's YOUR kid, remember!

Heather said...

Ah. This just goes with it I think. Fret we all do, but, remember the kids are alright.

For Myself said...

She really truly can. Listen to me. She can and she should and you already know that and you just needed to remind yourself of that.

patty said...

Do we ever stop yelling "WATCH OUT! HOT!?"

I don't think we do.

My mom's been... unwell lately. Dropping off a meal on my way to work the other morning, even with the oxygen tube in her nose she immediately fixated on my untied shoelace.

And reminded me three times to tie it before I went back down the stairs.

Lipstick Jungle said...

I still "soccer mom" (where did that term come from by the way) when I have to slam on the brakes and ANYONE is in the front seat.

We never stop protecting. And we always worry. It was another one of the bazillion chapters that went missing from our "Mothering a Daughter" Handbook.

Mantha is in the same boat. It hurts my heart. But at the same time I think she reaps a little of it. So I let her figure it out with my mom "mean girl radar" on at all times ready to pounce.

Leslie said...

Oy. You KNOW you have my sympathy. It's a rocky road. And, I'm sorry to say, it's just starting.

You know, Eldest is young for her grade too. She was immature but smart. When we were transitioning into high school I SOO wished I had held her back. All I can offer is that you encourage the friendships with the smart, the jocks and the misfits. They are much more grounded kids and are less likely to veer off into evildom. Hope that helps.

Anonymous said...

Apropos of nothing, you just nailed in 4 words - "girl fights over art" - why one of the most formatively important cultural forces of my early years has turned into something with zero relevance in my life.

But, um... I guess that wasn't really the point here.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Happy birthday to you
Happy birthday to you
Happy birthday, Ms. Peeeeeeeee
Happy birthday to you!
(And many moooore)

I don't think the eggs would survive the shipping, so instead I just send birthday greetings into the ether. I hope you're doing something really fun.

for a different kind of girl said...

My Mom is STILL that skateboarder's mom to me. Bridget has given me a wonderful retort now. Also? Brilliant...this post was so that!

Jen W said...

It's just so hard to let go, isn't it? I still find myself wanting to help my 7 YO get dressed in the morning sometimes...sometimes...but most times, it's pretty awesome that she can do it herself.

Samantha said...

They have been fighting a ton haven't they? Just the beginning of many year of girl fights... oh joy!

As you have been told, I tagged you for an award. Go see.

See you in a bit.

Deeples said...

Sounds like, to me, she's already on her way to what I think is the biggest hurdle of girl fights... and that's deciding when it's worth it and when it's not.

I'm sure the Mom Book says that you are never supposed to think it's worth it, but since we are all also WOMEN, I think we can agree that sometimes... it's worth it... to take the nasty girl that picks on you and humiliates you down a peg? Worth it.

Finding the exact moment when the good outweighs the bad? PRICELESS.

Susan said...

...when it opted for girl fights over art a long, long time ago

...a half meadow filled with fairies and play dough from the fence that separates her childhood from her tween-dom...

OMG that is amazing writing! Bridget's going to be fine with such an amazing mom. And if she wants to be the next generation's author, she's in good hands. Wow.

RhoRho said...

You're kindof MIA like me lately. Is yours due to paranoia too? JK. Hey, and happy belated b-day. I'll have a drink, alone, for you right now.

Aimee said...

All I can say is I know. I friggen know. But with boys it is rocks to the head and real black eyes and my son who has the composure and I am the friggen, "I want to bust that kid's ass," person. Uggg.

bernthis said...

my mother was one of those super worry warts and if I do nothing in this life I will continue to make sure that my daughter not be afraid of things that she shouldn't be afraid of. ON the other hand, if she should be afraid, I will let her know that too in no uncertain terms.

Anonymous said...

These are the kind of things that make me not want to have kids. I couldn't bear a pre-teen girl going through the shit I know young girls are capable of. It's hell and I really think I'd be that embarrassing mom marching to the school yard and putting kids in their place, while my daughter looks on mortified. Grr!

MereCat said...

Oh I remember the cattiness. I was the last to see it coming. Sounds like your daughter will be JUUUUUST fine!