Thursday, January 15, 2009

Things You Can Count On: School Concert/Public Speaking


Things you can count on; School Concert P(r)ep Talk:

1) You will remind your husband of the start time of the school concert.
2) You will remind him in person and via email. Twice.
3) You will still have your doubts.
3) You will explain to the GFYO, as best you can, what "in two hours" means.
4) You will say "not yet" and "not now" in about thirty different ways.
5) With 20 minutes to spare, your 2nd grade daughter will relent to braids.
6) But she will not tuck in her shirt -- no way now how.
7) With 10 minutes to spare, the GFYO will say "wait? where are we going?"
8) You will make sure you have the bouquets for the teachers and the other gifts and your very small speech on a note card. You will not forget to take your children with you. Hurrah!
9) You will, however, forget to put on a little blush.
10) Your husband will get to the concert before you.

Things you can count on; The Concert:

1) You will think there are more video cameras here then at Radio Shack.
2) You will whip out your own pocket-sized camera and pray that it is charged.
3) Your daughter will be in the back row with the tall kids. You will feel proud.
4) You will wonder, wistfully, what it's like be to be one of the tall kids.
5) You will whisper to your husband "so cute" and "did you see that?" and "omigod that's so cute". 
6) You will decide you overuse the word: cute shoes, cute bag, cute kids.
7) You will think that if all the world's evilest could see a bunch of toothless 7-year-olds singing an Hawaiian song (with coordinating gestures) then peace would fall at last upon the land.
8) And that would be cute freakin' awesome.
9) Your second grader will shock you with her flair for drama. And despite the fact that she would never sing one for you, she knows all the words. She will wave to you from the stage.
10) You will resist the urge to stand up and point and say "That's my kid! That's my kid!"

Things you can count on; The Speech Approacheth:

1) Your heart will beat faster when you realize the finale is coming.
2) The 3rd graders will do the jitterbug and you will clap like a penguin on meth. You will also cry a little.
3) Glenn Miller! Boys dancing with girls! Jazz hands! It is all so... freakin' awesome.
4) Applause. Applause. Standing ovations. Bulbs flashing.
5) You will realize what this means: now you have to stand on the stage and talk into the mic.

Things you can count on; The Speech:

1) You will feel relieved that the stage lights make the faces of your friends invisible.
2) You will make small talk with the people up there with you. But you won't hear a word they say. 
3) You will say, "oh? is it my turn?"
4) You will step to the mic. Which is back in its cradle. On a stand set to kid height.
5) You are short but not that short.
6) Despite years around mics, you will instantly forget how to raise one. You will also forget that the mic is meant to be removed and held in the hand ala Frank Sinatra or Tony Bennett or you get the gist.
7) You will bend over, to kid height, and begin your 3.5 minute speech. Hunched, bent, at kid height.
8) 3.5 seconds later, the principal will remove the mic and hand it to you. You will stand up.
9) People will laugh.
10) So you will laugh with them. You are amongst friends!

Things you can count on; Never leave the script:

1) Then you will say "Oh, you know, I'm just so used to bending over like that..."
2) You will say this while you are holding a mic. Which looks like... You know.
3) Except you won't know. You will have no idea.
4) You will wrap it up, hand out the flowers, smile and say "Bravo!"
5) You are a school-concert-going-tear-shedding-public-speaking-clueless-PTO-ho.

Things you can count on; Someone Will Tell You:

1) You will cringe. 
2) You will die ten thousand deaths.
3) You will sputter "but I didn't" and "and I wasn't" and "really?"
4) Your husband will admit he thought the same thing too.
5) You will shake your fists at the heavens and say "MEN!"
6) Then he will say that he knew what you really meant. Of course I knew, he will say.
7) You will feel better.
8) For ten seconds. For ten freakin' seconds.

Things you can count on; After:

9) You will decide that the next time anyone asks you to say anything out loud in public while sober you will decline and offer up your best friend: Tracy Morgan.
10) "Deal wid it Cate Blanchett!" you should have said. You should have just left it at that.

25commentsBrilliant Person Wrote...

Carolyn...Online said...

Where was your pole?

Heather said...

I once (famously) delivered an award at a high school graduation on tiptoes. The previous speaker was tall.

For the next year I practiced with the valedictorian. We did a great job.

You are among friends.

How to Party with an Infant said...

OMG awesome. I wish I was there! though I may have heckled you.

For Myself said...

'Cause really, in their minds, that's what all of the moms want to be doing all the time, right? All those PTO sluts just really want to be "bending down" all the time. I don't know about you, but for me...maybe notsomuch unless I'm tying someone's shoe. Gah! Get a clue people...

Also - I'm so glad he showed up. I had my doubts b/c of the intro! Well done!

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Rock on, Ms. P. That speech (or at least the first 3.5 seconds of it) will go down in Small Town history.

Deeples said...

Oh..oh you didn't........

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

I love it!

Everyone KNOWS you didn't mean it that way... and of course, that makes it even funnier.

Point of fact: You made that concert memorable for everyone in the room! :)

Ps. You didn't lick the microphone, right?

Susan said...

I'm still giggling at the clapping like a penguin on meth visual.

cIII said...

If'n I were there I would have laughed like a Bastard and then yelled out "c'mon people! That shit is funny. Now stomp your feet and clap your hands for the Picket."

and then the entire place would forget about your "slip" and been all "who is that ghastly, unemployed, bum looking fellow. Security!!"

See. It would have been awesome.

Susan said...

Oh, I hate to laugh at you but that was freakin' hysterical! Did the husband catch it on video by any chance? Wonderful story!!!

cate in MHD said...

What? I didnt know you were speaking..... I left early. I would have stayed just to.... laugh along with you. It was a treat to see you live on Monday and not just on here.

Anonymous said...

I'd like to say that I didn't burst into loud cackles when I hit the "never leave the script" section... but then, we both know I'd be lying.

Momo Fali said...

I am cracking up! Hilarious!

Major Bedhead said...

*snort* Damn, your PTO things are way more interesting than the few I've allowed myself to be roped into.

Jen W said...

That is CLASSIC! Totally sounds like something I would do.

Nash's Mom said...

That was just what I needed!! You had me at "clap like a penguin on meth".

Thanks for the laugh!

for a different kind of girl said...

Could this post be more awesome?! No. No it could not, because any additional awesome would slay me and I'm already a bit breathless from the laughter. Awesome!

Meg said...

They may recruit you to teach their sex-ed classes now.

Shannon said...

so sorry I missed it!

Leslie said...

A. Your husband is proud.
B. The other moms are thinking, "...um...er... that was pretty damn funny and it could have happened to me too."
C. The other dads are thinking, "Damn. He's a lucky sonofabitch."

Keeping 'em guessing. It's the only way to go.

A Free Man said...

"Oh, you know, I'm just so used to bending over like that..."

Tell me you didn't. I bet the audience got a good laugh at least.

Lipstick Jungle said...

If "they" ever lurked on your blog before and wondered "I wonder if that is her..." now know that IT WAS YOU! And now they know that you spend alot of time bent over, and prefer to be not sober.

Now I am wondering how we can make our PTO more like yours. Cuz sista, their aint no comedy like your kind-a PTO!

Was Tracy Morgan sober? And why oh why didn't they pan to CB? Because THAT is a look I would have loved to see! Bent over or not! bwahahaha!

Mr Lady said...

For the first time in 4 years of blogging, someone has finally made me feel better about myself.

BRAVO.

Anonymous said...

I'm here because anyone who can embarrass-herself more than me or Mr. Lady deserves another BRAVO!

Oh yea.

moosh in indy. said...

And the embarrassment Gods just let me off the hook for announcing I orgasm on the treadmill in front of 800 strangers.

mamazyd said...

Sex kitten I am not, I assumed you meant tying the kids shoes!