Thursday, January 29, 2009

I Could Punch That Book

I have read more books in the last month than I have in the last year. Maybe in the last two years. It feels good to say that out loud, because it felt like a dirty little secret -- all talk and no read. I've dropped out of book groups because of the...shame, even the book groups where no one else was reading the books either, or at least finishing them: I wasn't even buying them. 


I'm not sure why this latest manic book reading started, but it's been a rabid obsession lately. I think it makes The Kid pretty happy, he being a consistent reader of all kinds of books. He'll go from a big chunky historical tome to some crappy spy novel or Templar pulp and then he'll pick up Camus and carry on. It's kind of irritating in a way, how his brain can switch like that, but not half as irritating as I am when I read. 

I laugh out loud. I sigh heavily. I feel the need to tap tap tap him on the shoulder and say, "Listen to this." I swear a lot and get wildly pissed off and seethingly jealous when I read something that is so excellent or so funny or so goddammit-why-can't-I write-that. I get completely wrapped up and utterly inspired and I stay up late for a few more pages, just the next chapter, a little more.

And I throw books. I throw them down on the bed or down on the couch and if I really really adored it, I'll throw a book clear across the room. 

I hurled "An Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life*" practically into the neighbor's house when I was finished. Like I was mad at it for being so divine, which I wasn't, but I was probably mad at it for being done. I realize this is fodder for some shrink somewhere so I should add, while I'm on the couch, that when I was younger, like middle-school younger, when I saw something irresistibly cute, I had this terrible urge to punch it. (Look it up: it says this very thing in my ninth grade year book.)

Let it be known, that this urge has passed and I do not and never have actually punched or even pinched ridiculously cute things. But the fact is, love can be a very physical thing. And I don't mean the poetic lightening bolt that happens to a person (supposedly), but a lightening bolt that rises up from a person, from me at least, when some love button, some emotional wire is pushed or tripped and wham! There goes the book, splat against the wall or flat on the floor. There go my hackles or the shivers or the instant stomach ache, which is half like butterflies and half like hysterical laughter, and there I go again: sensitive? emotional? reactionary? crazy?

Who cares. 

I think this is why I can be a lump on the log, half dozing at ten, and hear a major thump from upstairs and leap to action like James Bond, completely alert and ready to perform CPR or lift a bookcase or scale a wall. I think this is why, after my terribly long and embarrassing absence, I am back in love with reading books. They are easy to haul around and use up little space on the table and take me away from and also back to myself. But mostly, they are light enough for me to send on an arc through space. I can really chuck those suckers when I need to and I think I forgot how good that feels.

Got any for me to throw around? Do tell.

* by Amy Krouse Rosenthal. Read it.

22commentsBrilliant Person Wrote...

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Oooo, A.K.R. wrote a real, full-length BOOK? Yay! I have "The Book of Eleven," which is a short little stocking-stuffer-type book of random lists of things(eleven things in each list, but of course) and I LOVE IT. But it never occurred to me to look for another by her. Thanks, Ms. P.

But I probably won't throw it.

minivan soapbox said...

Sorry to say I'm a romance novel junkie...Anything by Jude Deveraux, Judith McNaught or Nora Roberts...Which I trash ALL OF THEM. I fold pages, bend spines and have beer bottle stains on all covers...which drives my husband crazy. You are more then welcome to any of mine. I'll throw them your way.

Susan said...

I am currently reading Howard Zinn's A People's History of the United States. So glad you asked because saying that makes me feel smart.
And a friend of Lucy's cries when she talks about something she finds especially cute. It's like the cute thing punched HER with its cuteness.

for a different kind of girl said...

Reading this post makes me smile. Hell, if it were a book, I'd hit 'publish your comment' on this and then toss my laptop across the room! I took an unplanned sabbatical from books last year, which is wrong and stupid, partly because I work in a freakin' bookstore! At home and at work, I'm surrounded by them. They're comfortable. I love them. Even the ones I hate, I still stick with, cursing their lameness, griping to anyone who listesn about how annoying they are, then justifying why I'm still reading them!

I wish my husband was a reader. I'd love to be able to share a book with someone that close to me. Instead I go to work now and I huddle with coworkers and we compare and we trade. I've been in a love affair with Cormac McCarthy books, and right now am reading "Reading the OED: One Man, One Year, 21,730 Pages" by Ammon Shea - a word lover's account of reading the Oxford English Dictionary cover to cover. Sounds dry, but it's sharp and funny.

Anonymous said...

It's interesting, the way your passion for something can become so intertwined with that kind of volatility.

Heather said...

Autographed David Sedaris at the moment.

Meg said...

I envy you. I haven't found anything lately that I'd like to punch or pinch. It seems when I was younger I had that relationship with books. They had the power to change my way of thinking. Now, I think perhaps my expectations are too high.

Oh, I did read Storms Can't Hurt the Sky, A Buddhist's Path Through Divorce. I think it's the best relationship advice I'd ever gotten (and I've seen 3 different marriage counselors). I recommend it to everyone entering, involved, hanging on, or leaving a relationship.

Yah, that's it. Tweedy tonight in Ann Arbor. I'll feel like pinching him for sure.

Meg said...

Hey, stop by and check out my stalking of Brian Vander Ark. Remember him?

Carolyn...Online said...

So in words that you will understand: I would like to throw you into a wall. This means I loved your post. Not that I'm a wife beater. Or that you're my wife.

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of the day we bought our property and were standing it what we knew would end up being a horse pasture. I got so excited that I tackled Hellbilly and nearly knocked him smooth out.

Deeples said...

I just finished "Revolutionary Road" which was... interesting... and "Everlost", which I bought for my teenager who had no interest in it whatsoever, but I loved.

If you want something quirky and fun, I just read "Sunshine" by Robin McKinley... it's about a pastry chef and VAMPIRES. LOL.

Unknown said...

It's beginning to make sense now.
I love that you show your passion, with passion! Although I miss "reading" with you.
My new book club is reading Shadow of the Wind - very interesting so far . .

Anonymous said...

OOps - mamazyd

For Myself said...

*Smashes Picket onto floor with a giant thud. Smiles.*

How to Party with an Infant said...

Dude. Read The Descendants by yours truly. Abuse it by all means.
p.s I like your relationship with books

Anonymous said...

Woohoooo!! This post is so timely! I just finished a totally craptastic book earlier tonight - the 500th craptastic book I've read in the last year or so *sigh* - and I am ELATED to report that I've started Wally Lamb's new book The Hour I First Believed. I love, love, loved Wally's other books and I am SO pumped to dig into this one. Sus is already on board to read with me. You wanna join in? Please, please please!

I am SO stoked to be back reading as well and I love that we're in this together ;-) Interwebs, you're great 'n all but I gotta go back to the basics!

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Ooo ooo ooo, I remembered one! A very funny, very well-written one. It's called "Hypocrite in a Pouffy White Dress," by Susan Jane Gilman. LOVE THIS BOOK. Would throw it . . . if I threw books, which I don't.

RhoRho said...

I'm the same, all talk and little reading...but I just snagged a book from my bro's bookshelf - Good Advice on Writing..by..? I'll get back to you on that. It's quotes from writers on writing, so easy reading.

Major Bedhead said...

I'm about to finish The Help by Kathryn Stockett. It's fantastic. Next up is Breaking Dawn (I know, I know, but I have to finish the set) and then the whack of books I bought with the B&N gift card I got for Christmas. One is called The Sex Lives of Cannibals. I think that may be next on the list.

The only time I throw books is when they piss me off. I just about broke a window because I hurled Captain Corelli's fucking Mandolin so hard. God damn, I hate that book.

bernthis said...

I swear I really had this thought a couple of weeks ago:

I've read every good book out there (good for me, BTW) I have been through so many clunkers. WTF?

Unknown said...

Good Omens, Neil Gaiman and Terry Pritchett (?)

American Gods, again Neil Gaiman

They rocked!

Gabbi

Anonymous said...

I'm ashamed to say that in the 17 months since my son was born I've read less than I usually do in a month (unless you count The Very Hungry Catterpillar about 1000 times)! I just can't find the energy these days. Hoping that changes soon, I miss my Sunday afternoon read-a-thons.