Thursday, July 23, 2009

It All Amounts To Something

She said something like "I would love to hang out with you and drink a couple of beers at the park with you but then my girls might misbehave and then I would have to leave."


I said something like "Game on" or "Dude" or "Yo" or god knows what I said, but I'm sure it was funny. What I meant to say was, I know you.

I know you. 
I know you.
I know you.

On a whim, I emailed her, Carolyn...Online. On a whim, she emailed back. 

There are no parks in the interwebs so when our kids misbehaved, we could just tell that they did and keep talking. There were no interruptions, no weirdness, no geography, no nothing to stop what became a constant, daily, back and forth of notes, of letters, of stories and truths.

(There is no plan for that, no guide for how it goes.)

It just went. And went.

Until someone got a big idea to make a book (which was me) and the other said "um ok" (that was her) and many months passed and things happened and lives changed but the Book, the idea of it, that stayed. It stayed. 

The Book became the big adventure we could hold onto. 

And so we worked and worked and edited and fretted and never once talked on the phone.

 "TO: A True Story In Letters" is where, at least for now, we ended up.

TO: is THE BOOK me and Carolyn..Online made. Compiled. Wrote. Finished.

TO: is a mix tape for your eyeballs.
TO: is everything true about being a broad, a mom, a wife, a friend.
TO: is a collection of emails and essays.
TO: is a modern relationship made in an old-fashioned way.
TO: is maybe you.

TO: is a book you should read.

(Want to? See the link at the side.)

OH GOD AND GULP.



15commentsBrilliant Person Wrote...

Carolyn...Online said...

Gulp.

And also, phew.

See you tomorrow my friend.

Aimee said...

Oh, how I would have loved to do this with you....I mean drink beers in the park, because the other part I suck at. Awesome guys!!!!

Aimee said...

link is not working and...this upsets me.

Hit 40 said...

I love the photo of the two of you. Very fun and happy. Someone was smart enough to click the picture at just the right moment. Very nice.

Your book idea looks excellent. I peeked through the first on line freebie pages.

Susan said...

Wow! You two rock!

Nash's Mom said...

Done. I will wait on my stoop for the mailman to hand it over!

Bravo, ladies. Bravo.

Jen W said...

Can't wait to read it! Love the picture of the two of you- hilarious.

DKC said...

Did you see the cool postcards Carolyn made? You guys are gonna sell out of that book in minutes!

Have a great time this weekend!!

Kevin McKeever said...

You two are inspired.

Mongolian Girl said...

Awesome. And I got to the book but the site it's on isn't working to let me page through it a little?
No biggie...just awesome!

Samantha said...

You go girls!!! I'm so proud of you!!!

Leslie said...

I ordered.

Leslie said...

Soo....how was it?

TwoBusy said...

So fucking cool.

Anonymous said...

wow!