Friday, June 15, 2007

She Loves Me, I Love Me Not

This “Author’s Breakfast” for my daughter’s second grade class -- I did not want to attend. I am totally, almost politically against these end-of-school year things. I find them to be unnecessary, inelegant and generally a great waste of time – not to mention, a waste of donuts, mini-muffins, and gallons of coffee, that even I, an addict, could not drink all of if I tried. Plus, I have three kids, for whom I must rally the same oohs and ahhs, for which I must "be there" for, for which I must celebrate every little scribble made or song sung, and frankly, I'm tired and so I get a little pissy about it. They're good kids, I know; thanks so much for loving them, and teaching them, but you know, after all, guh'bye.

When I walked in, with K, the newly potty-trained gigantic three year old, I said this to a neighbor/friend, “Yeah, hey, hi; let’s get this fucking shit over with.”

Did I really say that? I did. But even as the words spilled from my mouth, I regretted them. I am sorry for being such a bad-ass all the time. I am sorry for trying to be so cool, cooler than you, even here in some second grade class, my daughter's, this girl who is so unlike me, and who I adore beyond words that the books have for adoration.

I wish I didn't see myself as the rock chick with black nail polish all the time anymore. I wish I could see myself more the way they see me, the way she sees me: a do-er, a mom of three, a hugger, a boo-boo fixer, a PTO mom who attends these things, even plans these things. That's who I am now; I became this for her. Graciously, gratefully I should add.

My daughter’s poem, the second-to-last of the performers, almost made me drop to my knees. It was copied from the format of a book they read, so not totally original, but yikes, I wasn’t the only one crying:

I love
I love a lot of things, a whole lot of things
Like
My Mom
She is very funny, smart and nice
I love when my mom helps me with my problems
She loves me and I love her
Honey, let me tell you that I LOVE my mom…
I love my Mom

It went on from there, but does it matter? The bill was paid. I was done. It was guilt beyond the guilt that regular people know. Only mothers know this -- that joy/pain part of parenting -- that Guilt.

Someday, maybe tomorrow, I will write back a poem to her. Hell, maybe I already have.

2commentsBrilliant Person Wrote...

sarahclawson said...

Ah, Regrets... Guilt... What if we skipped these two and just became more Buddhist about it all? I did this when I recently went for a much-dreaded visit with my In-Laws. Instead of arching my back and hating it, fighting it, criticizing it, trying to fix it, I just noticed it. I noticed them doing their crazy things, I noticed myself watching them do their crazy things. And yes, I noticed myself arching my back. But, overall, I was calmer, able to take in what was good about it all (there was lots, lots more than I would have thought).

Our feelings aren't wrong, they just are. I am a Varsity player at this Guilt-Regret thing, just weaning a bit, slowly slowly. Love yourself the way your kids love you -- no matter what, with passion and gusto.

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed your blogging. It is a positive for me to be aware that bright female minds can survive in the offspring-induced chaos and time demands of suburbian angst. Keep it up