Thursday, December 6, 2007

Top Five: Gifts for an 8 Year Old

I feel afraid to ask B too much what she wants from Santa because I know she will remember what she said and then maybe, if she hasn't already, figure out the whole beautiful scam.

You with other 8 year old girls: please let me know what your kids want so I don't blow it.

Right now, I am going off my gut:

1) Julie, the American Girl Doll
2) A Webkin
3) something artsy -- Fashion Studio
4) something sportsy -- lacrosse stick
5) scrapbook with all the "fixins"

My girlfriend just had her first daughter, after two boys, and has felt her confidence rocked more than ever. Something about being a mom to girls -- all those insecurities, daydreams, issues and wishes played out in 3-D. I told her, and I believe this, that little girls will teach you more about yourself than you can ever teach them and so, there's nothing to sweat.

Until Christmas comes.

1 comments:

Major Bedhead said...

My mother bought O an American Girl doll when she was about that age, but O was never a doll girl. Boo plays with her now, which sort of horrifies me, given how much those dolls cost.

There's some great stuff out there for girls that age - cool beading kits, make your own jewelry things, fun projects to do (the Klutz line is good for that). There's also some real dreck. It's not an easy age for gifts.