Tuesday, July 28, 2009

As Seen on TeeVee

(Okay, okay: there wasn't a group waxing session at Blogher either.  There was a lot of booze, a lot of funny smart women and men, some useful information, and a lot of, well, a lot of booze. JenW brought a rolling cooler and even left us a spare. And Carolyn and I were interviewed on camera which was kind of like a freak show hilarious but can only mean one thing: next stop: Oprah! But that's over now... let's move on.)


The Kid is a hot piece, a professorial looking dude with a little dash of Allman Brother hippy. He coulda shoulda woulda been a professional hockey player, if not for a strange twist of fate. Instead he is a thinker and an ad writer and a decent guitar player and also (shall I send you a resume?), in need of a little -- cough cough -- tune-up. For three months, he's been obsessing over P90x. Don't know it? Stay up late and wait for the infomercial. It's like the Shamwow but for your abs.

Once I bought some cleaning product off the teevee that promised to make my crappy apartment into something shiny and new and smelling great too but instead it was pretty much an ice cream tub of solidified pink Palmolive. It did nothing to the tiles. It did nothing to the stove. My hands? Totally extra moisturized (and smelling great too!) but I learned my lesson. Which was mostly to avoid using a credit card after midnight.

Even knowing this, having lived through it, his P90x jones would not die, and the Kid, he broke down. Five days later it arrived: a set of DVDs, a giant jug of something powdery, some vitamins that seem like your basic Centrum, a pull-up bar that fits none of our doorways, and some stretchy things with handles that have since been flung/chucked/whipped/strewn all over my house.  I'm not sure who was more excited: him, or the Short Drunk People.

The Kid thinks I'm not supportive when I say that sitting on the couch with the remote and his feet up watching people exercise will not in fact build muscles; he says he's learning the moves. The Kid thinks I am a non-believer, so he buys 8 protein bars. When I won't try the "shake" he's made with blueberries and bananas and who knows what that powdery stuff is, he says I'm a wimp (which I am: gross). When the GFYO is found kick boxing and Sumo squatting in the playroom with the P90x DVDs blaring, I go out for an ice coffee and The Kid calls after me (from his laptop), "Muscle confusion -- IT BEGINS TODAY!" 

I nod my head, give him the thumbs up and drive off, visions of congealed pink Palmolive that lingered too long in my basement, thoughts of that relationship gone bad with the Columbia House Record Club. I am a skeptic at heart (except when it comes to psychics and ghosts). I've been burned two too many times.

Yesterday: he began. Rory wanted me to feel the sweat on his water bottle. Today: he completed Day Two. He wanted me to marvel at his soaking self. He is.actually.doing.it.

Somewhere, Billy Mays smiles at the Kid. Somewhere, Billy Mays knows what he began. Somewhere, my tub of crap cleaning product fills a landfill. But maybe, maybe this time, it will all work out.

20commentsBrilliant Person Wrote...

Susan said...

When Sugarplum was a baby and I was just starting to work from home, I watched a lot of late night tv while I worked to keep me awake. Chris once busted me purchasing a Very Expensive body dome (one of those half-sphere balancey thingies that now costs a dollar). No credit card transactions after midnight = words to live by.

Leslie said...

You should totally buy him the pink stuff and see if he can make it work!

MsPicketToYou said...

Laggin -- you perv.

Jasper Mockingbard said...

I thought about getting P90X, but then I watched a few vids on youtube. There must be some kind of subliminal messaging goin' on. Some of those guys were a bit creepy and weird in a narcissistic kind of way.

I'll stick to the gym, where I can gawk at the cougars and mock the meatheads.

Jasper Mockingbard said...

One more thing... P90X causes hair loss.

Heather said...

I am a gym rat and a running away from my family for 6 miles exerciser, but I have friends with the tapes and I have seen it work.

Mongolian Girl said...

Those late night infomercial things remind me of the veterinarian I used to work for who signed up for his cult's...er...um...I mean church's "Business Program". Their advice to him for making more money? DO MORE SURGURIES!
Oy!
Hope it works out for the Kid.

Wendi said...

You are hilarious.

And I think I have muscle confusion. Maybe I should see a trainer about that sometime. Like next year?

So nice to meet you in Chicago. I'm still recovering.

Wendi

Carolyn...Online said...

Muscle Confusion!

You be nice to The Kid. He needs nice.

Ann Imig said...

So glad to have found your blog. And YES. In the socialluxe swag is the sugar hair remover.

It will not moisturize like the pink palmolive. It will rip off your hair though, and perhaps give your skin the illusion of pink palmolive.

Unknown said...

Hey chica! I met you at that MamaPop sparklefest and I think there is even a pic of us on the MamaPop site acting all BFFy - hope that's cool and you're not regretting our tiny BFFy moment. :-)

ANYWAY- right on with this P90X - my sis is doing it while she lives in Beijing! She moved to Beijing JUST so she could complete the P90x and not get distracted. Maybe The Kid needs to move to China.....

I'm gonna be checking you out over here for a while and I have GOT to buy your book! I also wanna talk all about it on my site....I guess I'll email you....

Later -

Lee

Samantha said...

If it doesn't work for the Kid it will definitely work for the GFYO!

cIII said...

I think, No(!) I know, I'd rather have the ShamWOW.

I'm too far gone to even think about coming back.

But I can always use me a Good shammy.

for a different kind of girl said...

OK, I'm going to confess this here and then we can decide mutually if it's something we ever want to speak of again -

There's a guy I work with who is doing P90X, and this guy? Well, let's just say that if I'd been a girl who wasn't a complete nerd and a choir dweeb and OK, popular, in high school, this particular coworker could feasibly be my son. I'm talking like my freshman year here, so, whatever.

Anyway, so he's doing P90X and I'm all, "Yeah, good for you, that looks like a form of torture, but to each their own," and then a couple weeks ago, he girlfriend (also a coworker, also young enough to be my sophomore baby had I been super popular), posted photos of him on her Facebook of him with his shirt off and he was jumping on a trampoline and OMG...

That's exactly what I said - OMG! The P90X is doing it's business on him. I was all, "What are those?" and my husband was all "Those are muscles," and I was all, "Do you have any of those back there?" and he was all, "Hush you, and besides, do you know you aren't really having this conversation with me, you're just having it in your imagination so you don't feel bad about oogling your coworker who could be your freshman year baby?" and I was all, "Pfft...and also? LOOK AT THAT DUDE'S FANTASTIC BACK!!"

So..yeah. It could work. I guess that's what I'm saying. I imagine the TurboJam DVDs I bought from the same company could also work if I started doing them again. I wouldn't post Facebook photos of me shirtless, though. Not even if my husband asked in his imaginary voice.

Jen W said...

Need to see before and after pics.

Aimee said...

New York 10? Yes, yes, yes!!!
You have to see the Gene Simmons show where Shannon gets doped up on pain pills and buys all kinds of stuff late night. Awesome!
I, like the kid, totally want the program and have nearly ordered it like 80 times.

minivan soapbox said...

Totally off topic...But I still have my original tub of OxiClean that I bought BECAUSE of Billy Mays. No Lie. And honestly, love that crap.

Unknown said...

I agree with Jen- I think we need to see pic's. Purely for academic reasons of course and definitely not for any sort of weird voyeristic purpose-cuz that would be wrong.

I must confess I do so enjoy a bodyflex commercial from time to time.

Anonymous said...

Hello !.
You re, I guess , probably very interested to know how one can make real money .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may begin to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you thought of all the time
AimTrust incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with structures everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your choice That`s what you wish in the long run!

I feel good, I began to get income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to choose a proper partner who uses your savings in a right way - that`s AimTrust!.
I make 2G daily, and what I started with was a funny sum of 500 bucks!
It`s easy to start , just click this link http://qegitafolu.kogaryu.com/nemymif.html
and go! Let`s take this option together to feel the smell of real money

Anonymous said...

Hello everyone!
I would like to burn a theme at here. There is such a nicey, called HYIP, or High Yield Investment Program. It reminds of ponzy-like structure, but in rare cases one may happen to meet a company that really pays up to 2% daily not on invested money, but from real profits.

For several years , I make money with the help of these programs.
I'm with no money problems now, but there are heights that must be conquered . I get now up to 2G a day , and I started with funny 500 bucks.
Right now, I managed to catch a guaranteed variant to make a sharp rise . Visit my blog to get additional info.

http://theblogmoney.com