Friday, November 14, 2008

All The People at This Party

Since I am not sure there is a cure for the song stuck in my head (the song offered on video below, that I hope you will play before you read the following), like Helter Skelter, I am taking Joni's back. 

Cue: music (yes, YOU: click it):


All the people at this party
I think Bedhead has a lot of style
Freeman has stamps of many countries
I had a passport; Waltz smiles...

Laggin's friendly, some are cutting
Sometimes I'm watching Kristin from the wings:
Maybe FADKOG, Infant, and Uncool are giving to get something?

When Whiskey gets attention
Bossy and Jonniker running down,
Cusp's got things no one knows --
I take the lampshade as my crown.

One minute I am happy
Then Heather's crying on someone's knee
I say laughing and crying  -- Aimee
WAIT? it's not about me?

I told you when I met you Meg and Minivan
I was thinky
Cry for us all Rho
Cry for Myself in the corner
Thinking she's nobody
And Jesus behind his Joker
and stone-cold X behind her fans
and me in frightened silence
waiting for Carolynnnnnnn.

I felt like I was pretending Nash's Mom
then JenW... woke me
Sass seems to have a broader sensibility
I'm living on nerves and feelings Two Busy
Like Merecat, Patty and Cii -- word
showing up at Deeples parties
waiting to flip the bird.

It's not a lack of humor, UncoolKevin,
that keeps the sadness at bay, 20Something:
it's throwing the lightness on these things, Floyd,
laughing it all away, Lori
laughing it all away,
Manager Mom is laughing it all away.

I'm laughing it all away.

19commentsBrilliant Person Wrote...

Lipstick Jungle said...

That is so so cool! Playing Joni first totally set the mood!

You rock! (literally).

Im keeping it all away!

Anonymous said...

Waltz totally just laughed out loud - thanks for including me.

Carolyn...Online said...

You are a rock goddess. That party's gonna kick ass. We will probably get too tipsy preparing for it and miss the whole thing. Note to self: bring tape recorder to have evidence of the fun.

Heather said...

I am in. I have to warn you that I can be a fun drunk. Also I have had a good turn.

I loved the song. It was so wonderful and your lyrics make me laugh.

Anonymous said...

Gotta laugh at the "sensibility/TwoBusy" rhyme. First and last time that equation will ever appear.

For Myself said...

Brilliant! BRILLIANT!
I'll sing back-up when we have our big debut, kay? I'll do the little doo-wop move thingies with a vengence. We'll be hot! They'll be swaying their lighters at us screaming for an encore...
Thanks for the wakeup smile.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

What a brilliant, original shout-out to your readers. Only you, Ms. P.

But . . . why watch from the wings? It's the dead deer, right? It intimidates people, doesn't it? I should only write about my cute, fuzzy sheep from now on.

Carolyn...Online said...

I had to come back and listen/read again. So great.

for a different kind of girl said...

You're so clever...

:)

Jen W said...

I LOVE THIS!!!! SO AWESOME!! AND I DO REALIZE I AM YELLING AT YOU IN ALL CAPS!!! BECAUSE IT *IS* THAT AWESOME!!!

Momo Fali said...

I love Joni Mitchell, but this is just awesome.

A Free Man said...

Thanks for putting me in your song!

I love Joni Mitchell much more than a straight white man in his thirties really should.

MereCat said...

HA! That was fun. It's going to be quite a party, I say.

Aimee said...

Awesome.

Nash's Mom said...

That was fantastic! You clever thing, you. xo

patty said...

Oh damn! You, like, invited me!

Anonymous said...

Awesome Mizz Picket. I tried to just read from my crackberry earlier today. Good. I read along as Joni sang and...ahhhhh. Nice & thanks. And I'll kee writing so I don't have to be the one with things no one knows. You?

Major Bedhead said...

Awesome!! Aren't you a clever clogs?

Deeples said...

Love it!!! -- and I have GREAT parties.

And because so many people (justifiably) called you AWESOME, I must leave my current new favorite quote (from Kung Fu Panda)...

There is no charge for awesome.
- Po