Tuesday, November 11, 2008

All Lost in the Supermarket

I mentioned earlier today that I had forgotten the joys of grocery shopping with three small children. What with school for the older two full time, and play dates I am not obligated to attend pre-school for the GFYO a few mornings a week, I can pretty much manage the buying of food (no one will eat) all by my lonesome.


Today, since we honor Veterans Day here in Massachusetts by taking the day off from organized education, and since the cupboards were really pathetically bare (stale Triscuit anyone? limp carrot?), off I went with the Short Drunk People for an hour or so of public drunkenness at the local food store. Thankfully, we saw no one we knew. 

It is not that my children are any worse or more spazzy than other kids in grocery stores. It's just that they are mine and so I get to highlight their shenanigans because I consider it my RIGHT and my DUTY.

For instance, those coupons dispensed in those little machines are not coupons but tickets and for some reason, the more tickets you get the better. Tickets to what? to where? Who the fuck knows, but they want them and must have them.

Also, produce baggies are not so much for say, um, brussel sprouts or broccoli, but better used as blow-up whacking instruments. I know this because for a good twenty minutes Rory* and the GFYO blew-up and whacked. Creative play? Perhaps. Utterly annoying? For sure.

Three children under the age of ten can discuss the merits of different types of "fruit" flavored gummy snacks for longer than your average senator can filibuster. The fish department on the other hand elicits gasps and speed walking, and also from Bridget*, a kind of stunned silence that a mother would even consider "making" her children eat something so "gross."

The word "gorp" (you know, the trail mix your mom probably made with peanuts and raisins and M&Ms) resulted in what will forevermore be known as the Gorp Song. It included many made-up (or misused) words, some lame beat boxing, some attempts at break dancing (in aisle 6), and the scorn of other shoppers.  

The good news? The cupboards are less empty and we made it out of there, all four of us, with a dollar to spare for the (I mean, really: it's NOVEMBER) bell-ringing Salvation Army guy. We loaded the goods in and then they loaded them all out. We put the food away, divided up crackers into ready-for-school-lunch individual portions, discussed how we would not eat all the "fruit" flavored gummy snacks in one gluttonous feast when in fact, we have REAL fruit to gluttonously eat, and we marveled at our accomplishment. Well, actually, I marveled; every one else went outside to play.

The bad news? No booze section in that grocery store which puts a little damper on the one-stop-shopping, you know what I'm saying?

****

* Oh yes. I am leaving the initials behind (except for the GFYO because I just dig that little moniker of his) because "B" and "R" never sounded like them to me anyway, so there you have it.
   




17commentsBrilliant Person Wrote...

graham's mom said...

Oh man, the only thing I was happy about when I moved from MA to upstate NY was "GLORY BE! I get my beer and my food in one place???" It's the sweetness. But then, blue book laws are all weird and "up-to-you" now in MA, aren't they?

Lipstick Jungle said...

I purposefully go shopping during lunch, or only when I know Jim has arrived home with both kids. I REFUSE to shop with anyone. I dont lollygag, I dont price shop, and I dont stop and chat - well sometimes I do....

I hate shopping. Knowing I have to spend money on food no one will eat drives me bat shit.

Jen W said...

My town used to sell the liquor at the grocery store in the drug store area but they forced you to pay for the liquor at a different check out than your groceries. That was such a pain in the ass but now they changed it so you can get everything in one stop!

Also, I'm so happy that I know B & R's real names now!

A Free Man said...

My boy's just started to want to wander when we go grocery shopping and it's virtually impossible to get it done. I can't imagine what it would be like with three. I'm impressed you're still sane enough to write!

Susan said...

I can no longer shop happily.
I came in for a special offer
Guaranteed personality.

You definitely got that!

Leslie said...

Oh, in Kansas, a/k/a the just-plain-jacked-up-state (that's its new motto), we can buy beer at the grocery store,'cept on Sunday because... err...I have no friggin' idea why!?!?

Anonymous said...

I wasn't born
so much as I fell out

nobody seemed to notice me...


Anyhow. It's all about the red gummies. Everyone knows that. (Thank god my wife goes for the greens... urk. Nasty, vile little miscreants of the gummy world.)

for a different kind of girl said...

My kids actually turn their noses up at the fruit snacks I bring home depending upon the maker. Seriously? Isn't a fruit snack a fruit snack? I.E. Crap? Honestly, my kids don't realize there's such a thing as an actual cherry. To them, a cherry is something tiny and shaped like either a dinosaur, Hot Wheels car, or farm animal.

minivan soapbox said...

Wait...Can you not even get Beer or Wine at your grocery store? Because if that's the case - I would suggest selling your house and moving to somewhere better. Quickly. The Horror.

Anonymous said...

This post of yours? Is exactly why we have two rules for when the kids come with me to the grocery store. Number one, we hold hands in the parking lot. Number two, don't act like wild goats.

RhoRho said...

Laggin: it's b/c of Gawd, of course. And Picket, I'm uber-impressed that you take freaking THREE with you. By the time my two (both in cart, where the eff do the groceries go? On top of children) are in the checkout line, they appear to be borderline mentally-challenged "special" kids. And me: "Walmart Mommy" - the name i created for crazy bitches who cuss and yell at their kids at the store. "Don't make me turn into Walmart Mommy" is my warning.

How to Party with an Infant said...

OMG this is so funny. You're so cool--I wish I saw you at my grocery store.

Carolyn...Online said...

We must possess the tickets as well. Who's bright idea was that anyway? Probably the same guy that put the gumball machines at the exit door.

cIII said...

Our "Local Market" does not allow us to use the Race Car carts anymore.

You knock over One Tuna Fish display playing "Vanishing Point"........

Kristin @ Going Country said...

I miss the grocery stores in Arizona, fully stocked with liquor, beer, AND wine. Oh yes.

Fucking New York blue laws.

Meredith said...

OMG we love to play with the 'tickets' too...leave a trail throughout the store each and every time.

So wait, we now know the names of everyone but GFYO? When he turns six does he become GSYO? That will work for two years just like GFYO!

Anonymous said...

Ok -- does anyone actually get to take those ticket/coupon thingies to the check out? Ever?

I like it when my two decide they are going to be the deli-line ticket dispensing ambassadors and stand there handing them out to everyone. That is, of course, after I have thrown a full-fledged nutty at them for pulling out a long string of tickets that causes the deli guys to call out 35 numbers no one has because my boys are using them as Indiana Jones whips. Ahh...good times....