Monday, March 29, 2010

Hey Hey Hey Hey

Bridget dances past me at the stove tonight.
She's singing, "donchu furget about meeee, dont uuuu..."

I say, how do you know that song? and at the same time I grab the spoon mic to get my kitchen karaoke on -- "i'llbe uhlloone babeee" -- and she says, I just know it, and then I'm at the mic again -- "dancin in the... dancin in the sumthin" --
and then: mommmmmmm!!!
Gawd, she says.

Gawd, I said on Saturday night when some baby-faced fellow bar patron told me and my high school posse that we were "so St. Elmo's fire." Why? I said, because we're friends from high school or what? Good God man, I said: what are you saying?

"I did see that movie a lot," said my friend."At least none of us was as crazy as Demi," said the other. "Rob Lowe was so hot," I said, "but I hated that earring."

It was right about then that the dude pulled out his pen and starting taking notes like an anthropologist. You could see his eyes widen with his discovery. I swear he might have measured our skulls if we let him any closer. Turns out he "loves old movies man" and before all his cougar slash sociological fantasies could come true, we discovered that his bosses bosses boss is also a friend of ours from school. He was smart enough to make a swift retreat before asking for our panties.

The thing about hanging out in the city of your youth for the weekend with two of your oldest best friends is that something like this will happen. Sure, you've traded your dinner of Ruffles and canned onion dip for 4 stars but when you wind up in a bar at 10:30 at night, you still expect... miracles? dim lighting? to blend in? You do not expect to be the girls who not only saw the old movie in the movie theater (first run) but also wore some of the same clothes -- and ohmygawdlookatyou, you're still partying dude! But it happens. And you were still partying, because some things never change. And the whole thing just made for more funny shit to laugh about in the morning.

Vanity and security, said those Simple Minds. I had no idea what that meant back then, but with my plastic spoon in hand doing my best cheesy rock star for my kids, I get it now. You trade one for the other.

I spooned the sauce, which was 4 star from a jar. My audience was less than thrilled as always, but hey (hey hey hey), they won't forget about me. I'll be alright, baby.

6commentsBrilliant Person Wrote...

for a different kind of girl said...

You are brilliant. You make me sigh happy sighs.

Anonymous said...

Better restaurants, worse hangovers. It's a trade-off, really.

Carolyn...Online said...

I hate it when they call our movies the old movies. What is wrong with these people and how are they old enough to be in a bar?

Aimee said...

Ah, this is like every night of my life at work... it sucks to be repeatedly reminded that the birth year of those that are finally legal to drink is 1988. I was nearly a teen in 1988! WTF?

Anonymous said...

you are brilliant, fo sho. was every generation as sorrowful and embarrassed and resentful about getting older (not old)? i feel exactly as you feel, but did our parents feel like this? we're a weird generation, I think. we don't want to give in...give in to being what we perceived our parents to be.

justmakingourway said...

Jeez, I have to come after the interview guy?

We were talking about the Rocky Horror Picture Show at work recently, and all that it entailed. It's just a step to the right...

Anyway, this darling girl who is twenty-something had NO freaking clue what we were talking about. Sigh.