Monday, March 1, 2010

Things We Will Never Speak Of Again, or How Humiliation Moves Me

So Carolyn's telling this funny story today about making an ass out of herself and of course I find this brilliantly inspiring because I

a) feel for her and compassion is good for creativity
b) started imagining standing there, pointing and laughing
c) found b) very John Hughes-ian which made me think of screen plays
e) am trying my best not to write anything about dog poop
but mostly, it reminded me of something.

A few years ago, when I was not even 40, I found myself as if by some weird magic, in the Mall. The Mall! And even more outrageously, I was in a store with very very loud music that I did not know the words to, and most surprisingly, I was happy... I was on the kind of high you get when your old skinny jeans suddenly fit and you realize -- CLOTHES! Clothes are fun and new and pretty! It's like I'd been rufied by my temporarily skinny self.

I was pushed for time (back then I was picking up the GFYO at 12:30), so I engaged in this supermarket-mania mad-dash through the racks of shiny "ohmygodthatscutes" -- grabbing, feeling, nabbing, holding a skirt, wait a shirt? up to myself in some teeny tiny jewelry mirror and running like hell for the dressing room. Basically, I was looking like a very bad shoplifter (with a credit card) on meth.

Flinging off clothes and pulling on new ones, I stood under awful lights tugging and pretend-hemming, zipping and tying bows in all the wrong places, checking out my ass over my shoulder, and then, the coup de grace, I did the "pretend talking to someone at a party" thing -- laughing, posing, "oh no sir"ing. (You know you do it.)

And then I hung up the discards (hung 'em up, because I wanted those cool shop girls to like me), set the two keepers aside, put my old clothes back on, checked my watch -- 20 minutes left! -- and emerged for one more walk amongst the hot people who listen to the loud music. I was happy the way people on drugs are.

Dangling my awesome skinny girl clothes off my arm, I wandered a bit, calm now, calmer at least, and I noticed these very, very pretty college girls nearby. (Very pretty college girl catch the eyes of everyone, isn't that true?) And in that drug-induced moment, I felt comfortable amongst them -- like a big sister, a cool older friend or at least someone with excellent taste in music who could school them, you know?

Everywhere I went, they went. (They like me!) When I checked out the dangly necklaces, an impulse buy for sure, those girls were there. (They admire me! Maybe they want to interview me for "Career Day"?") (Note to self, I thought: update "career" talk.) (Maybe resume, too.)

I tripped a little bit on the wide-legged hem of the super-trendy pants it turns out I would never wear and that's when they worked up the nerve to approach me.

"Ma'am," they said.

Um, who? I thought, as I whipped myself ever.......so......gracefully toward them -- smacking the blonde in the gut with the giant sack of a "handbag" I was carrying.

"Ohnonomygod, sorry," I said, "Oh my god, you okay?"

"Yeah yeah, but...uh...um," the blonde whispered, all low-down and conspiratorial like we were friends, "Your shirt is on inside-out and the tag maybe ripped or something, so it's kinda flapping around behind you."

OH! I said, or maybe I didn't. I have no idea what happened next. The music was really loud and the high was wearing off and I must have paid for my loot, because somewhere in my closet is a sequined halter top we shall never speak of again. Never. We shall never speak of it. Ever. Never. Not once. Done. K? Okay.

6commentsBrilliant Person Wrote...

The Floydster said...

Oh.my.goodness. This is hilarious!!! This is laugh-out-loud hilarious! Its right up there with another true story of a friend who in her drinking days had way too many one night, went to the bathroom and came out with toilet paper stuck on the heel of her shoe, dragging it as it continued to unroll all the way across the room. She thought everybody was SO friendly and enjoying her great model walk.
You are a brave woman to rat on yourself like this! That's a sign of a confident woman, indeed!

Jen W said...

That is so chock full of awesomeness I can hardly take it. Stuff like that happens to me all the time.

Me Just Me said...

OMG I am at work and blogging ha... this is great!!!! I was so excited when my daughter wanted to go look for something neon... I remember neon...Growing up I was so a rocker chick and was more comfortable at a Megadeth show than a neighborhood block party! but wow how times have changed!

I'm blogging as well (only some funny) www.lovelorn-n-torn.blogspot.com

CaraBee said...

Well at least they were nice enough to discreetly tell you about it and not just point and laugh.

justmakingourway said...

You are truly one of a kind, Picket. I think we need a picture of said sparkly halter top...

Cheryl said...

I was scrolling through your blogs because no one is posting this moring and found this. I SO needed a good laugh this morning.