Friday, May 29, 2009

Girls Weekend

The GFYO and the Kid are 8 hours and two states away. They are getting all manly on an island near the Canadian border, with a bunch of other 5 year olds and their dads. I can picture it: fleece and rubber boots, fishing poles, cold beer and juice boxes, men (and boys) and nature and heaven! No chicks in sight. 


It's quieter here without them. The girls walked to soccer practice together and I stayed home cleaning playing video games on my phone. We ate spinach noodles with butter and salt and watched the Spelling Bee I'd taped. We decided we are not excellent spellers and that we prefer American Idol. I danced in the kitchen to a retro Pepsi commercial and they rolled their eyes but secretly loved it. When 9pm rolled in, I sent them to bed, to my bed, with a hug and a kiss and they went. Just went. No tucking in, no stories or monster checks. They kissed me and went to bed.

It's weird without the Kid and the GFYO here. We three fit on the couch better for one. We can get very quiet and into our popcorn and Spelling Bees and not here the sounds of make believe guns and the click clack of a lap top. We let the sink fill up and avoid our chores. We are three chicks with no dudes in sight.

Tomorrow, after their games are over, we might rent a movie and turn the lights down and eat pizza and sit in silent rapture in front of the screen. Or we might buy tickets and watch one in a theater and eat at the mall restaurant we love, put cloth napkins on our laps and do away with the crayons and the kid menus. We won't hold hands in the parking lot; we will be three girls out on the town.

Later, we will hope for good cell phone reception and the sound of their voices. We will clean up the kitchen and put away cleats and turn the lights on in the bedrooms.  We will realize how much we miss our Boys.

11commentsBrilliant Person Wrote...

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Boys of all ages do tend to create noise and chaos wherever they go. The house is always weirdly quiet when my husband is gone and just the MiL and I are home. I enjoy it for short stretches of time, but I'm always glad when the shaking of the china on the sideboard announces that the resident boy is home and stomping around.

Mongolian Girl said...

Oh yes, there is a little bit of time when everything seem much less cluttered and loud when Hellbilly is gone. And then? There's nothing better than seeing a pair of his underwear in the hallway outside of the laundry room and some tool that belongs in the garage on the dining room table.

DKC said...

I love this post. That's usually the right time frame - first, to enjoy them gone - then to start missing them.

TwoBusy said...

Sounds like you're dealing with your weekend in much more mellow fashion than I am. TheWife is in NYC, and we're at Defcon-3 right now.

Nash's Mom said...

Yeah girly time!! Sounds lovely. Can I ship my big and little kid there, too??

Enjoy the night tonight as well as the reunion tomorrow.

xo

kayare said...

I love the way this post made me feel. Being apart to miss being together-works every time!

Kevin McKeever said...

Its good to separate the brood once in a while. Makes you appreciate it more when you are together.

Heather said...

We LOVE "girly time" here when the boys have tournaments!

Samantha said...

Its all fun and games till no ones there to take the garbage out on trash day!

Samantha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carolyn...Online said...

Aaaahhhhh....