Thursday, May 21, 2009

I Don't Do Baby Talk

I babysat for the neighbor baby. He is 18 months old and luscious. He is blue eyed and Kewpie doll and he can be delivered to my house without fear. He knows me because I spoke to him before he was born and because well, we are neighbors.


That sweet little blue eyed baby that helps me to get over having any more of my own: he was totally spazzy last night. I gave him some baby tid bit food and he started waving his hands at me like a crazy 18 month old baby.

In an orderly way, he waved and shook his hands. I was pretty sure he wasn't having a seizure but I had no idea why he was all up in my face with his tiny fingers. He stomped his feet. Something was wrong. 

I gave him my Iphone because he loves it and he took it but still, he was still making the freaky hand gestures. 

Is this kid throwing gang signs at me, I thought. His parents seem very nice so that would be a surprise. Then again: babies are impressionable and who knows what happens behind closed doors.

Rory came home from soccer. She ran to him the way she always does to the GFYO and this little baby (she will make a great mom someday) and she turned to me, so disappointed in me, as that baby she loves did that thing with his hands, and she translated,

"Mommy, he wants more! He's telling you with his hands: he wants more!"

Oh. Ooops.

He kissed me when his parents came to get him. I speak that language at least.

11commentsBrilliant Person Wrote...

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Ah. Yet another child who has been taught sign language, I presume? It seems to be the thing to do these days.

Mongolian Girl said...

Awesome! I'm going to try that next time we're out to eat.

DKC said...

You can't go wrong with the kissing language.

I thought I might try the sign language thing with both of my kids. How do you sign, "Not so much"?

cIII said...

There's nothing better than an iPhone crusted with baby-leavins'.

I hear Apple is working on an Ap for that.

Kevin McKeever said...

Thought for sure the iPhone was headed to a bad place.

Carolyn...Online said...

It's good for the ovaries to have a disposable one you can play with and then give back.

Susan said...

Studley knew that sign and it was the first thing he said and signed with meaning. A friend's baby had come to visit and Studley was trying to get her out of her car seat. He tugged on the straps and said/signed "more!"
Two years later, they are best, best friends.

Heather said...

I wouldn't have understood that either.

Leslie said...

I got my fill of baby crack yesterday too. Isn't it lovely to borrow them and then return them?

MereCat said...

We've driven everyone crazy with the sign language thing. My kids just love it. Our choices were to watch "signing time" or "the apprentice" so we went with signing time.

I want another baby for like five seconds, then the reality of actually HAVING a baby kicks in and I'm over it before it started.

Lipstick Jungle said...

BWA HAHAHAHAHAHA is all I have to say. That was a riot!