Wednesday, February 4, 2009

On Money

There are for sale signs and going out of business posters all over the Small Town. It's not like the factory has closed because there isn't a factory here; it's more a tight-wad sensibility made worse by scary news reports that has shuttered up so many shops. It's downright depressing, recession depressing.


And it's sinking in with Bridget, this current financial situation. Maybe not so much sinking in as floating close above her every day thoughts, like randomly hanging there, not so much something to worry about, but something she's (over)heard enough to consider more than once. 

Today she said, There is something I want. I don't need it. It's not something I need. It is definitely something I just want so I am just throwing it out there.

What? I said, half-heartedly, thinking she was thinking a new ski jacket (ch-ching), a new pair of boots (ch-ching), a pony (oh gawd).

A Patriots t-shirt, she said. You know, one that fits me.

I don't know why, but this completely crumbled me. A frickin' t-shirt? Post-football season? When no one really cares so much?  (She is not a trend-setter, I guess, unless she's ahead of some trend and knows something I don't know.) But honestly, I am sure I could score a Patriots t-shirt marked down at Target, so she might as well have been asking for a pair of new socks -- please mama? ones without holes if you can manage it. And a saltine? 

The only time my parents talked to me about money when I was a kid was to tell me that it was impolite to talk about money. My sister once bragged at school that my dad made a penny a minute and even though she was punished for being so impolite, they told that story over and over to their friends and laughed and laughed. I was five and already sucking at math: were they laughing because this was a lot or a little? 

Now, I try to use the words some PTO speaker told me to use -- "we are spending our money on other things" and/or "we are saving our money today" -- so as not to stress them out. I try to remind my kids that I am more than just the distributor of their heart's desires and I remind them that putting a couple bucks in the bucket is just as important as putting in a couple hours of work somewhere for free. I remind them that we will always have what we need but rarely have everything we want.

So dilemma approaches in the form of what is likely a discounted t-shirt at Target. Do I get it for her, because I can, or do I not get it, because she doesn't need it? Do I give her the thing she wants, probably because someone else had one and she needs a little help in that department, and you know, I love her, or do I tell her that it's unnecessary right now and hope she forgets? Do I use this as a bargaining/bribing tool to work more of my wicked ways aka never having to unload the dishwasher ever again?

Maybe I should take her downtown, to one of the few local shops that remain, and tell her I will match the money she chooses to spend from her savings and let her get some other cool t-shirt or some smelly pencils or those weird food-shaped erasers she loves. Because that feels sort of responsible and maybe a little indulgent, I realize, but she did ask nicely. And truth is, I do want to be the distributor of their heart's desires, I do (!), even when I know that is exactly what I shouldn't do, not right now and probably not ever. Still, ugh. What to do?

15commentsBrilliant Person Wrote...

RhoRho said...

I'm the first to comment! Your pen must still be hot...
so, on money - my girl just had a bday and xmas within a month, so lately I don't pick her up something on every Target trip, and return home to "whadja get me?" So she found yet another wretched princess doll in a pamphlet that came with a movie - wants it. So, we're using her "star chart" in which she earns a quarter per sticker at the end of the week. It may take a couple weeks but she can earn her doll that way. Usually the $ just goes in her piggy bank. I know, not unprecedented, but it's how we show her stuff just doesn't fall in her lap. Right?

Lipstick Jungle said...

The request is almost so precious that you have to give in, even so, she acknowledged she didnt need it.

If it were me, and remember, I suck at this mom thing... I would say "we will see" (which is my standard line for which they know really means "not on your life"), and then throw in a few extra things I dont want to ever do again, with a bribe that has a shirt attached to the tail end of it and then hope after a while she forgets.

But that is just me. My suggestion to you?

Do it on the fly. Get it for her as a reward for something she does sometime soon and suprise her with it. Just dont tell the other two your plan!

Teri said...

Yeah, I would have her earn it. $ for some jobs around the house.

I just attended a 'talk' on managing money in a family. They suggested (as I've heard elsewhere) giving kids a way of earning an allowance and having 3 pots or piggy banks: one for saving, one for spending, one for giving. My oldest is 4. We're going to start something like this soon.

Jen W said...

"please mama? ones without holes if you can manage it. And a saltine?"

Ha- that cracks me up! I love when my kids ask me for something they *really* want when it is inexpensive. I get to be the hero.

Leslie said...

How about you get it for Valentine's Day...because you love her. And it little something for the other two too!

Anonymous said...

What to do? Isn't everyone asking this every day? I know we are. We are OK and still asking.

Heather said...

As we are currently crunching with the economy, we give in to that inexpensive stuff. Sometimes a middle schooler just needs to be cool.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Yeah, I have no kids, of course, but I would just get her the shirt. Because we could all use a little bit more happiness and wish-fulfillment these days.

Meg said...

When it's a t-shirt, be the distributor of their hearts' desires.

When it's a $100 flat iron, give them the starving kids in China...oh wait...ah..Somalia speech or the consumer-driven culture speech.

Better yet, show them the documentary, Born Into Brothels.

Kevin McKeever said...

This is the best time to pick up discounted Pats wear, so go ahead and stimulate our floundering economy. And while at Target, swipe some saltines from the snack bar -- they are right out there for the taking.

for a different kind of girl said...

My parents never, ever talked to my sister and me about money management or how to make wise choices. They talked ABOUT money and how we didn't have it or how it was tight, but how to take care of it? I'm still sort of learning.

We're currently three weeks in on a 12 week Dave Ramsey financial peace class and this week, we're supposed to sit down and create a zero-balance budget, and that scares the crap out of me. I'm afraid I'll start talking to my kids about money the way my parents did afterward!

However, the plan is to get the kids semi-involved in the process so they see we can't get them something every time we go out to the store, nor can we swing through McDonald's every time we go by one. Also, we're going to try to figure out if we have some money in the remainder to pay them an allowance and teach them how to budget it, and then we'll be teaching them they will have to save their money to buy the things they want and we can't always afford to help them out. I expect there to be some big old battles as a result, but when they come up, I plan to stand in the middle of the living room, spin around with my arms outstretched, and ask them if they like our house.

Unknown said...

I too, am taking the Dave Ramsey course...SCARY!

Anyways, I say buy the t-shirt. Seriously, when you can fulfill one of their desires for so little money, I say do it. Because later on when she asks you for something really extravagant, you can say, "Not today, I just got you that t-shirt you really wanted." And on kid terms of value and worth, they are worth the same amount.

I have a ten year old and still take advantage of the beauty of that. I also manage to get the dishwasher unloaded and the living room rug vacuumed, because this ain't a free ride, ya know.

Good luck,

Gabbi

Anonymous said...

The argument my parents had over and over again was about money, lackthereof. It used to stress me out and make me feel guilty about asking for anything. At the same time, it made me value my things, money and work.

I think the match idea is a good one. BTW, my company announced yesterday there's no more matches on 401k's. Grand.

Carolyn...Online said...

Dude if you don't buy that kid the Patriots shirt then I will. She earned it by knowing the difference between want and need. I am what they call "an enabler"

Anonymous said...

That is what Holidays are for . . . Valentine's day! What cool kid would not love a Patriots shirt? It even has red in it!