Thursday, February 12, 2009

Tongue Tied and Bound

All week long, I've had a brain filled with big stuff, bad stuff, school stuff, legal stuff, and I couldn't say a word. 


It is never a good thing to tell a lover of words she cannot speak: it muffles her completely, shuts her down entirely. Even when she knows she can talk and write about other stuff, all her inane stuff, all her bullshit and gripes, it's that ONE thing that she cannot talk about that is like an anvil at the door she wishes to go through. 

John Updike died. He lived in my 'hood. He wrote three pages everyday like clockwork. He woke up and I don't know if he had coffee or tea but I know that he wrote everyday, like a factory worker, like a slave to it, like a workaday man. He was a whore of a dude, but he had children and if there were not days when his wife upset him enough, I assume there were days when his kids shook him out of his tree. Or just bad news. I am hoping he didn't write on those days. 

But maybe he did? And maybe that's the point. Maybe that's when Rabbit was born.

I need to get all Updikian. I need to be a writer after all. 

12commentsBrilliant Person Wrote...

Anonymous said...

You are a writer, sister.

Hey, I have the same issue. I think of all the great things I could write if only I was allowed to talk about (fill in the blank.) We're all guilty.

Anonymous said...

The winter funk's got us down. Come back to us

Carolyn...Online said...

I can't wait what you say about this when you can. Or if you will. Or how it will all come flooding out sometime soon.

Meg said...

I often wish I had a sort of "Blog Behind the Blog." Or maybe "The Rest of the Story Blog." Sometimes I'm even tempted to have links for the real story with a disclaimer that anyone who goes there can't judge me.

It's hard. I know.

cIII said...

me too, Picket.

me too.

You're one step ahead, though. You're already Good at it.

Anonymous said...

References to the “Rabbit” character are dangerous in a small town. Better check your “sources” before publishing that one. Otherwise it could lead to some pretty horrible drama.

MsPicketToYou said...

um, what? i wish i had some inside scoop like THAT but nope. i don't. my drama is far less interesting really.

Anonymous said...

Fly your freak flag and fly it as high as you can, Mizz Picket. It's the only flag you've got and I suspect you will be seriously fuckin' pissed if you realize at 85that you didn't fly it enough to remember how.

for a different kind of girl said...

Um...

Love.

Not much writing with this comment, but I do.

For Myself said...

huh. Anonymous stumped me. My hackles are up. What's going ON?

Anonymous said...

Given the Rabbit reference and the video in the prior post, my bet is your husband has needed to travel for work. You shouldn’t worry uselessly. You obviously have way too loving a relationship. Enjoy your Valentines Day!

MsPicketToYou said...

actually, no. Not lately. Just love jenny and Sarah Silverman. And updike Worry about lots of things, somtimes uselessly, but not about that.