Friday, February 19, 2010

The Quiet Right Now

Oh my god the quiet right now.

No kids or the sisters or the puppy
Finally.
Some quiet.

Can I describe quiet?
No.
It's like Yoko painting wind:
You get the idea. You don't get the wind.

I covet quiet.

My brain gets so noisy
so chatter-fillled, so busy-doing, so wikkid burnin' up
everydayallthetimenomatterwhat so

I covet quiet like a dog to his sock.

I need that piece of peace to gnaw on
to tug apart, to break into pieces
so I can swallow it whole.

So I can wake in the morning
with my jaw sore from trying:

my bits demolished and mulled into mush
every part of me sore and undone and
waiting how I do
waiting for that quiet,
waiting for this quiet
at last.

At last.

Be very quiet, now. Quiet is good.

11commentsBrilliant Person Wrote...

Formerly known as Frau said...

Yes it is I hope it lasts. Have a relaxing, peaceful weekend.

for a different kind of girl said...

yes.

that's all. yes.

Carolyn...Online said...

quiet is good. (I'm whispering.)

Unknown said...

"I covet quiet like a dog to his sock.

I need that piece of peace to gnaw on
to tug apart, to break into pieces
so I can swallow it whole."

Awesome. I never ever valued quiet like I do now as a mama to three.

Gimme QUIET!!!!

Oops. Sorry to disrupt yours but I ain't getting any this weekend.

:-)

Susan said...

I am covetous of your quiet. I have to wait until the 5 espressos my children seem to have imbibed wear off.

TwoBusy said...

I can only presume this means you've got your entire family - and puppy - bound and gagged in your basement.

Good work.

CaraBee said...

Ah, the quiet. Such a precious, precious thing.

Heather said...

I stay up too late for that very reason.

Anonymous said...

I love your poetry. I don't usually 'get' poetry, and maybe that wasn't what you were going for, but I liked it. :)

The Floydster said...

My mom got into the habit of staying up until 11:30 or midnight every night just to sit in the quiet.

anymommy said...

I absolutely, totally, one hundred percent get this. Brilliant.