Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Half In, Half Out

Sometimes when I come into my empty house, I hesitate at the front door: do I really want to bust the stillness of the place, the quiet of it? It's like a life existed there while I was gone and hauling in my noisy brood or my bags of groceries seems an insult to the peace that's settled in.

Sometimes -- most times -- I just barge through the door and hurl my crap on any available surface, start clicking buttons (answering machine, email), and survey the to-do list of a house suddenly a hot mess: call that one, put away that thing, find it, sort it, fold it, do it. I become a whirling dervish with a paintbrush in one hand, a sippy cup in another, an agenda tucked in one pocket, a permission slip in the other, good intentions everywhere but strewn all over the place.

Sometimes -- lately -- I am half-way in the house and half-way out. While I'm running the business of all of us, I'm also running for the hills: seeking a fantasy life on the road (in an RV!) writing that book about bumper stickers or learning to surf and home-schooling somewhere in Mexico or settling into a small but funky pre-war apartment in a big city where all my kids wear high tops, off the grid, on the grid, a part of the motherfucking grid: who knows, could be anything, could be anywhere. I am a first-class daydreamer.

(I know this because when someone is not where they are supposed to be, I can conjure the gore of the tragedy in full on 3-D and go swiftly to the phone calls I would make (and the words I would say) and the clothes I would wear and wait! -- there you are at the door, on the phone, come back to life! It's a small and pleasant jump to the good kind of daydreams which serve an entirely different purpose.)

I could chalk up this recent rash of not writing here or anywhere underwhelm/overwhelm to the season because seriously, man, the smell of new pencils and falling leaves and the sound of corduroy pants woosh-wooshing is like crack to me -- the high being the infinite possibilities of new beginnings; the hangover being exams. Which is a really lame metaphor and long-winded attempt to explain what is essentially either writer's block or distraction or maybe just being busy with being busy or maybe feeling guilty about sending one of my kids to school in pants plucked from the hamper. Not sure which. Not sure that it matters.

What matters is that the Red Sox won last night (and me and The Kid were there YO), R was caught on the receiving end of a note that read "Mrs. Teacher has a big butt", B has woken me up twice in the middle of the night in the last five days to tell me she can't find her retainer, and the GFYO is officially obsessed with Scooby Doo in what might be considered an unhealthy way. What matters is that the economy is in the tank, Tina Fey is a blessing to humankind, and my neighbor with three kids just shipped out to Afghanistan. What matters is that I sat down tonight (thanks Carolyn and Suzan) with ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to say and managed to spend a good forty minutes being all oversharey and loquacious. (Which is an awesome word by the by.)

What matters is all of this and none of this and exactly what is wordless in between, the split second between the foot over the threshold and the foot out the door.

30commentsBrilliant Person Wrote...

Carolyn...Online said...

I have been feeling like that for a month. Half in half out. I love the way you put that. Scurrying and hurrying and stopping and waiting and all the stuff that has to get done doesn't get done. And ugh.

I'm just glad you're over here. Now get on your assignment missy.

Amy said...

Half in, half out. That's my mind most days. I just could never put a name to it, besides, crazy. Yours is better. Glad you're back. I like reading what you write.

for a different kind of girl said...

Happy to see you pop in. So happy to now have a name for what I, too, feel like so often.

For Myself said...

It is a curse to feel tugged by memories, dreams, obligations and things as of yet unlived. The impulse to flee can carry such force sometimes.
Breathe, write, take some joy in the kids' conversations, and then quiet your stirring soul with a project.

Susan said...

I am going to spend the rest of the evening trying to use "loquacious" in a sentence.

Lipstick Jungle said...

I think you just described the average american moms experience when school starts - and all the crap and sports and band and dance and extra curic's start.

Overwhelming.

And God bless Tina Fey!

I wondered if you truly did solve the financial crisis, bought the RV and promptly left town. I would have called you had I had your number and asked for directions to your hideaway hoping it was warmish because my hotel on wheels is not super insulated!

And seriously? Big butt and loquacious in the same post.

Me loves you.

Jen W said...

So glad to see you back! I think Tina Fey is genius!

Anonymous said...

That was amazing, with the dervish and the paintbrush and the busy being busy; I completely feel your frenzy. Wait, that might be mine. Either way.
I should reassure you about the ScoobyDoo thing, though. In my experience, this phase, while intense, does pass. Trust me. The Exile version of this phase included what we call "The Commando Ultimatum" (whereby the FYO told me that he wasn't going to wear underpants again until I bought him ScoobyDoo boxer briefs.) So until the GFYO surpasses that level of crazy, you shouldn't worry.

Meg said...

Yes, Tina Fey, Sarah Silverman, small single-sized serving bottles of white wine which my Teen has coined, "Mommy's special Juicy Juice"--I thank God for all in this season.

Glad you're back.

Meg said...

Yes, Tina Fey, Sarah Silverman, small single-sized serving bottles of white wine which my Teen has coined, "Mommy's special Juicy Juice"--I thank God for all in this season.

Glad you're back.

Meg said...

Yes, Tina Fey, Sarah Silverman, small single-sized serving bottles of white wine which my Teen has coined, "Mommy's special Juicy Juice"--I thank God for all in this season.

Glad you're back.

Meg said...

Sorry about that. I guess I'm really to see you're back.

Meg said...

Sorry about that. I guess I'm really glad to see you back!

Kristin @ Going Country said...

I'm quite talented at the tragic daydreams (daymares?) myself. And you know what's another excellent word to work into conversation? Hirsute.

Welcome back. Hope you stay awhile.

Deeples said...

You're on the brink, babe.

Sometimes, I live for months (years) on the brink.

It's a scary, wonderful, terrible, beautiful place to be.

Leslie said...

Loquacious...why, yes, you are!

I loved the day dreaming thing. I can totally lose myself in the what-ifs sometimes and create a whole-alternate-life-of-Laggin. I even have conversations and arguments and make important decisions there.

Leslie said...

Loquacious...why, yes, you are!

I loved the day dreaming thing. I can totally lose myself in the what-ifs sometimes and create a whole-alternate-life-of-Laggin. I even have conversations and arguments and make important decisions there.

For Myself said...

I'm feeling the sudden need to repeat my comment...

Anonymous said...

Should I type this twice? I think you're a genius for making me think about the exact moment that made me want to start blogging again...being right there on the cusp...the horrible, wonderful, vexing, elightening cusp. Thanks!

Lipstick Jungle said...

me too...

Lipstick Jungle said...

me too...

Aimee said...

You know what is crack to me? Your writing. And I'm so let's live off the grid, big city high tops, in an RV...I'm there. Wait isn't that an insurance commercial? Regardless, me and you...long lost twins.

Lipstick Jungle said...

Bwahahahahaha! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow...love the writing too.

I'm addicted to this time of year for the football...the smell of the pigskin :)

Anonymous said...

1) The economy's in the tank? Wha? Who? When did this happen? Dammit... I'm always the last to know these things.

2) Top of the hamper or bottom of the hamper? Top is still exposed to fresh air, thereby allowing germs to escape and the garment in question, subsequently, to self-clean. I think Leprehauns may be involved, as well.

How to Party with an Infant said...

Well said, sister.

I love 'oversharey'

Samantha said...

Wonder if its the weather... I feel very much the same way.

It's exhausting.

Also, Its good to know I'm not the only one that can conjure a 50-car pile up if Mr.P is 5 minutes late from work... that he walks to.. approximately 1000 yards from our front door.

RhoRho said...

I waiting for your comments on the great debates...

Anonymous said...

Dude! I'm so glad I read this because I don't feel so weird about my constant daydreaming. Seriously, I do the same thing with envisioning tragedies. I'm so bad that, if I'm alone in my car, I'll actually start sobbing just thinking about it. I have to stop myself and remember that this hasn't happened ... yet.

But, if I'm not daydreaming about tragedies, I'm daydreaming about, well, dreams. And it's a beautiful thing. So I guess, like Mrs. Garret said, you take the good, you take the bad. Or, you live halfway in and halfway out.

Samantha said...

Omg I laughed so hard reading Carolyns post! I literally pictured the entire thing. I can't believe you got GFYO to answer every question and not run off or just stand there screaming... miracle!