Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Older Like You Do


The thing about old friends is that they get older just like you do.

You see two at the table at a birthday dinner:

Her face lined but more perfect than it was back then, different in a better way, better than our yearbook pictures, different in the way she looked after college, after Him. So much more different is her face: it shows, looser now. Better.

She pours my drink. She looks me in the eye. I am grateful.

And also:

She sits beside me. Her face, her body so much smaller that it was back then, but her voice? It's always truth when she speaks and I find comfort in her all the time. I hold her son's hand and I get zen: this is her son. Hers! I feel lucky and luckier still.
She knows this much.
There is some meaning here bigger than feeling yummy good with old friends, and I hope you find it and whoa! maybe write it yourself.

For now, I just wanna write this down: just wanna say it out loud.

Just want to be grateful for this happiness I feel.

7commentsBrilliant Person Wrote...

Susan said...

I was going to write a comment, but this morning I think I'd like the time out, please.

for a different kind of girl said...

embrace it. hard.

today I lost a friend, and I feel the need.

justmakingourway said...

Writing it down is something we should all do more often. I'm happy to hear you had the time with your friend.

Carolyn...Online said...

Old friends are good. Old friend's baby's are sweet.

Susan (5 Minutes For Mom) said...

I don't spend enough time with old friends. Thanks for the reminder.

By the way, I just published our BlogHer 09 interview with you and Carolyn.

http://www.5minutesformom.com/10038/the-story-of-a-unique-book/

Mongolian Girl said...

Just today I called a woman I grew up with but haven't talked with in 25 years. Her voice on her answering machine sounded so...old. And when I was leaving a message I thought, "Oh wow. I bet I sound so...old."

x said...

Your friendship posts make me wanna braid you a friendship bracelet.