Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Wrapped Up

My current obsession: scarves. Not the silky kind, not the wooly kind, but the kind that's mildly bohemian. With the cool colors and the danglies and stuff. Not sure why I am so obsessed but I think it makes me feel um "dressed"when I sling one around my neck, maybe more grown up and dare I say, looking like I might give a shit?


The Kid is working now, nothing permanent, but great nonetheless. I haven't quite finished up my resume and I know I should. There's so much attached to it: fear and change and rejection and having to face the future for reals. (You mean I can't just write on this blog and call it work? I can't just write agendas and plan meetings? Sweep the floor? Drive to soccer and offer occasional psych counsel and tutoring to my three kids?)

So I swathe these cloths around my neck -- which takes way more time than it should, and then there's the issue with the hair: up or down? down? no. up? christ -- and I avoid my resume and the future all together and head out to where? school or the grocery store or the book shop. Doesn't matter.

I am wrapped up. I am giving a shit.

See?

12commentsBrilliant Person Wrote...

Lipstick Jungle said...

My 12 year old is planted deeply in the same obsession. To the point that I would swear she has one for sleeping in and quite possibly showering in. Does that mean she is trying to grow up? OY!

YAY for Kids job, temp or otherwise! Dont sweat the resume - um hello? Short Drunk People? You may not get paid for it, but that job is pretty damn big!

lo

for a different kind of girl said...

Trust me, that whole job thing? Overrated. I had my review last week. I about ripped the paper from her hands because I thought she was talking about someone else. Someone who is not nice and pleasant and eager to please for very little scratch. In the end, I realized if I did that, she'd jump up and yell "AHA! You've proven my point!" A scarf would have given me the balls to do it.

Because she? She was lying. What the hell is this comment about, anyway?

Heather said...

The problem with work is that you are fair game for judgment and performance. This leads to anxiety and it is stressful. You should feel a little uncomfortable, because some of opening yourself up for examination is dehumanizing.

This should help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e1TZ9Sin4o

Serial Swooper said...

I was actually considering a scarf the other day but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't give off the air of sophistication you've achieved with your scarves.

http://www.elertgadget.com/palert/a_new_stylish_scarf_8007.htm

Kevin McKeever said...

You lost me at "work."

patty said...

Y'all have a Madewell in Boston, right?

Enough fringey scarves to wrap about yourself for the next 3, maybe 4 years.

A Free Man said...

My current obsession: ice cream.

Susan said...

I'm going to get a dangly scarf. I really need to start giving a shit.

Susan said...

You can go out in your pajamas if you have a really fabulous scarf. That's my fashion tip for the day.

Carolyn...Online said...

You know what? We should get jobs in bookstores. Or independent coffee shops. They love scarves in coffee shops. I don't think we need resumes for that.

justmakingourway said...

I'm a sucker for a good scarf. If you and C...O do get jobs in a bookstore, be sure to stay away from the one where FADGOK works!

RhoRho said...

re: everything you just said: are we in fact the same person? everything. fuck! and i have to send you a pic of my hairy awesome boho scarf.