Friday, October 9, 2009

Pushing Buttons, A Short but Not Nice Poem


Is it really so hard
to push the button on the car door
the door your grubby hands
have smeared
and made sticky
Is it so hard
to push the button and --
hey look at that!?
make the window
seal out the rain?

If you pushed the button
to make the window go down
and I have yet to understand
why you would do that
as it fifty degrees and um? raining
but if you could push the button
to open the window
could you not
also
push the button to close it?

See, the rain gets in and
makes the seats and the carpet on the floor
and the sweatshirts and
the backpacks and
the marker-colored papers you left behind
it makes them all very very wet
like smelly wet because
wet shit smells.
Let that be
lesson number one.

Lesson number two: push the stupid buttons
next time and I mean this
like when I say "wipe!"
and "furniture!" and
"don't for the love of God lick that!"
And I mean it when I say
I have but a few buttons, Short Drunk People:
do
not
push me.

8commentsBrilliant Person Wrote...

cIII said...

There is nothing as frighteningly beautiful as Picket at the end of her Rope.

Hang in there.

Susan said...

I love when you get all poetic on us.

justmakingourway said...

"don't for the love of God lick that!"

By far my favorite line. You crack me up, Ms. P.

for a different kind of girl said...

It stuns me how often I still have to give the wipe warning. For real.

The Floydster said...

I hope the Short Drunk People paid heed to your last 4 lines. Hilarious!

TwoBusy said...

I hope your agents of chaos give you a day off soon.

Heather said...

You are so much kinder than my children's mother. Those windows are only opened by the driver.

Wendi said...

Man, you're a frickin' poet laureate. Who knew?