Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Twitch

My right eyelid's been doing this effed up twitching thing for what? five days now. I don't dare google it. I remember when my mom ventured onto the 'net (for the first time) to find a cure for my cousin's infant's problems: "swallowing and sucking" she typed in. Even now, I can still feel the burnt-red on my mother's cheeks.


So my right eyelid twitches and I forget about it until it does. Kind of the way I forget about the GFYO's learning issues until I look at his school papers. Kind of the way my daughter's intense moods seem meaningless until they strike. Just like my other daughter, confident yet mostly friendless, which I realize when I realize that she rarely goes anywhere but here.

My eye twitches. A little spark, a shot to the gut from the brain for a second: you okay? are you okay?

Who the fuck knows? Not me.

My eyelid twitches and I feel it, that weird uncontrollable movement no one sees but me. My eyelid twitches, even now, while writing this, while my children dream deep in sleep. My freaky heart and brain, EVEN NOW, makes my eyelid all shaky, all weird, all randomly electrified.

17commentsBrilliant Person Wrote...

for a different kind of girl said...

My hand spasms. Sometimes when it happens, when I watch my pinkie finger doing a little swing dance over the ring finger, I think it's cool. When they sit one out, though, I think that can't be right. And that other stuff? I get that. I get that, too, for sure.

Wanna shimmy and twitch together?

Mongolian Girl said...

Watch this ----> I'm commenting! Hooray! Back at it, sistah!
OK, so this twitch thing. I always think they're interesting when they begin. How long will this last? Can anyone else see it? Go to the mirror quick! Is it just my imagination?
Then? When it goes on longer than I think it should? I get all nervous about it. Which probably makes it worse.
No. Googling this would not be a good thing.

Susan (5 Minutes For Mom) said...

You made me literally laugh out loud which your mom's google query. Too funny.

I agree about not googling it though... you'll just get freaked out.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

My eyelid used to twitch in high school. Back when I did five million activities and almost failed chemistry. Now the palm of my left hand itches frequently. I seem to be a walking medical example of stress-induced annoyances.

Russ said...

My wife has a muscle twitch under her eye. I just sit and watch her eye pulse, it's quite amusing!

Heather said...

I get that too. It happens when I am overcooked. I actually asked the doctor and it was a combination of stress and exhaustion.

As lame as this sounds, because I know that it is like asking a clown not to be creepy, can you get some time to relax?

As far as the kiddos. Mancub had learning issues in kindergarten and he is fine now. Sometimes kids are a little too young for the responsibilities of k-2. He is fine now.

As for the girls, I teach freshman and it can be a rough go with the moods and the friends for a while. Cliche, but, it really happens a lot.

Best wishes.

Pandamom said...

Thinky twitch, is my diagnosis. I got this bizzare head twitch when I was under lots of stress-- baby diagnosed w/ birth defect, husband lost job and dad died all within six months. Still have it. Now it's kind of funny because I always seem to get it while I'm having my hair cut as I try too hard not to and stress myself out. It's a thinky girl, stressed mom thing and hopefully it helps to know you're in good company. Oh, and a Miller Lite or two will probably take care of it for a while. :)

Unknown said...

I've had the same problem. You're stressed. Massage!!!!!

Kevin McKeever said...

Miller Lite withdrawals?

Jenn said...

Drink tonic, preferably with gin. Seriously, tho. The quinine in the tonic helps with eye twitches. And sleep - that helps too. Like anyone with kids has time for that.

Anonymous said...

Been there, done that. a few times. limit your stress and caffeine (yes, I know, caffeine seems to be the cure for stress, but alas).

Carolyn...Online said...

Dude, you need some sleep.

Leslie said...

I hate it when that eye twitch thing happens.

But, God, I love how you think...that second paragraph punched me. I spend so much time trying to forget all the shit that it frequently sneaks up and gets me.

I miss reading here. I just need to do it (like the Nike commercial). You are good for me...like jogging. Or maybe not like jogging.

(Shut up, Laggin.)

A Free Man said...

Thinking of your Mom's search results made me laugh and laugh. Thanks!

Jen W said...

I get the twitch, too. It is from stress.

anymommy said...

Oh, your poor mom. May the twitch go away, with no googling necessary.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!