Sunday, March 15, 2009

How Does This Boat Look On Me?

As in: we are officially in the same boat as 4 million other Americans. Uh-huh. 


But at least we're with some excellent company (right Two Busy? Cii?) so I have decided that for the time being and thanks to my overactive imagination, this is not so much a ship of fools we're sailing on but a luxurious cruise liner --  drinks for all on the upper deck! complimentary shrimp cocktail in the dining room! karaoke without judgement in the pub! It's a cruise to nowhere and everywhere all at once with no itinerary or course to mark! And we have paddles if need be, once the gas runs out, so we'll row to shore if we have to.

Meanwhile, back on the mainland, the day before we set sail, my beloved Imac ceremoniously laid itself off as well. Crapped the bed so to speak, withered and would not turn on for me or even say one final goodbye: just.died.

Good timing if you consider that the broken machine meant I couldn't get all ranty while all drunky or all thinky while all scaredy and type type type, bang away and lay it all out here like some permanent reminder of how NOT to be when things go south. See? I am living on the sunny side of the ship. 

Time has passed since the News and we did what most people do when faced with unsettling information: hunkered down and made a thrifty budget while moving into the bunker spent lots of money on a beautiful new machine. And so today I am not only back on-line peeps, but I am weirdly optimistic and calm (despite the insomnia and the chain smoking and the obsessive Iphone game playing) because the Kid is nothing if not resilient (and talented yo!) (and wikkid smaht) but also because what choice do I have? Weirdly optimistic and calm is my new middle name: Ms. WOAC Picket to You, which has a horrible ring to it, so scratch that and just know it's how I am...

The good news? Rory's arm was not broken (again), the GFYO declared that his penis is "SO cool" and Bridget is owed an Ode, which her mom will deliver while lounging on the upper deck of this boat of Possibilities. But only after she stuffs some of that free shrimp in her pocket, just in case.

Red skies at night, sailors delight and smooth sailing for us all.

18commentsBrilliant Person Wrote...

DKC said...

Your ship sounds fun. Even with all the possible angst. Very (selfishly)happy to hear that you decided to get another computer. Very sorry to hear about the boarding of the ship - even though I am SO in for non-judgmental karaoke.

Weirdly optimistic and calm is good. Stay the course, as my sailor Father would say.

Meg said...

Glad you're back. Did you get my email?

Meg

patty said...

Is cussing ok here?

Because I am feeling the need to use the F word.

I am sorry about the news. And glad about the calm.

Heather said...

If you ever need to blog in a totally venting method you can post on The Ghost, know one will realize it isn't me.

For now, long distance mental support.

Anonymous said...

Wow. Typing on my also-new Mac as I sit on my also-unemployed ass... I can only say:

1) Very sorry to hear.

2) "We're gonna need a bigger boat."

3) Karaoke without judgment = raw stuff of genius.

4) New mac = writeoff!

Anyhow. Welcome aboard. Sorry to see you here.

Anonymous said...

Mizz WOAC! Yeah...funny ring to it. Anywa - nice ship you have here. One that includes the only karaoke invitation I've ever seriously considered. Niiiiiiice.
Much support my dear.

Samantha said...

That boat sounds fun! I'm so glad you got a new mac, it was creepy seeing an empty desk.

cIII said...

Shuffleboard!!

Let's get all Sideways and play Shuffleboard!

Also. Can I drive?

Aimee said...

My ship boarded May 2 2006. The day my office closed while I was signing on my house. Yikes!!!!
But here I am. And this ship, let me tell you, is awesome. There are always fun activities like mental strength training and finding all the angles. Life, my friend, is beautiful. It's like that moment in sports when you face your biggest challenge and you realize that you can do it and you are a clutch player.

Susan said...

The olives and/or celery in your cocktail count as salad...

Steam Me Up, Kid said...

ranty while all drunky or thinky while all scaredy...Permanent reminder aside, I think I would have enjoyed the drunky ranty thinky scaredy post.

I tend to get all weirdy when I'm sleepy or rambly when I'm boredy. But I like yours better.

drunky, ranty, scaredy, rambly, etc. = the seven dwarves, if they were bloggers.

Momo Fali said...

We got on the ship about a year ago and though we have a life-raft, the waves are very choppy. Put on your vest and hang on for the ride.

Carolyn...Online said...

I have a mental image of everyone on the boat singing Margaritaville with Isaac and Gopher. It looks like a good time.

for a different kind of girl said...

Sorry you have to be on that boat, and I hope you have had your shots. Your approach to things, though, is amazing, and that whole 'what else can I do?' bit? Yeah, I need to adopt that for my entire life.

Anonymous said...

Oh dear god take some dramamine. I LOVE the sound of Ms. WOAC, especially Ms. WOAC after half-a-pack and half-a-bottle of vino.

I am so, so sorry to hear of this and you really are in my thoughts.

Promise

Jen W said...

Grrr. Dang economy!!!

Lipstick Jungle said...

Soon, we will ALL be in that boat, because I fear the tank will empty soon and there will be nothing left.

But you both have uber talents, so I know you will recover faster from this than the hangovers from the party barge!

I'll hold your hair if you hold mine! Gotchurback sista!

For Myself said...

How do you do it? How can you be so damn cool? How can you write like that? Awesome.