Monday, March 23, 2009

How We Rawk

The fingers on my left hand are mildly numb and mildly burning and so if I make some carelesslkhskjd mistakes, you will forgive me. Steel strings on acoustic guitars are death to newbie fingers like mine. I actually think I might have killed some nerves: it feels like the tips are asleep all the time. 


Still, I know enough chords to play a Marshall Tucker Band song and the intro to "Wish You Were Here" and also that song from Grease that starts by singing the chords; I think Sha-Na-Na made it famous. And when I say "play," I mean pluck strum start over look at strings look at fingers start over hum and mumble and try again. 

"Play" is a very subjective word.

Rory has the worst sounding guitar ever so everything she plays sounds like a "Horse With No Name" yet she still looks cooler than me when she strums and hums. She kicked the ball outside with her sister after dinner and while she was waiting for a pass back, she air guitared while chanting "G! G! G Major!" 

I have no words for my satisfaction in that.

I'm not sure which one of us wants to rock more.

14commentsBrilliant Person Wrote...

Heather said...

I would guess it is a family trait, rocking.

Anonymous said...

That's awesome.

Leslie said...

It makes me want to strum a bit too!

Aimee said...

I have an awesome guitar built for a small girl like me. Know what I know how to play? NOTHING! You totally rock.

for a different kind of girl said...

From she who wishes she could rock, I salute you!

Anonymous said...

Now we just need the video to prove these claims.

cIII said...

I ain't leavin' here 'till I hear gol-damned Freebird.

Or, Needle and the Damage Done.

DKC said...

FREEEEEEBIRRRRRRRDDDD! (cIII got me going)

Way cool though. I wish I could play some sort of instrument. I hear your fingers will get tougher, you know, in a couple of years.

Carolyn...Online said...

I'm buying Rory a roach clip to snap into her hair.

Lipstick Jungle said...

So when shall there be the first recording? Because I will purchase enough to send you to gold label status asap!

How much fun!

A Free Man said...

I hope my kids want to rock. I bought the boy a stand up keyboard (size appropriate) and he certainly seems to enjoy it, so good start.

Meg said...

I used to rock, but I sucked. Now my Teen has my guitar and he's got a great ear. Loves to compose stuff on Garage Band.

mamazyd said...

The daughter imitating the mom?
The mom imitating the daughter?
Enjoy every moment!

RhoRho said...

I assumed Ms. Picket already rocked the guitar! It's never to late to start.