Monday, March 2, 2009

Get Out Of Jail Free Card

Most of the Eastern seaboard had a snow day today. A Monday snow day! It's like a holiday weekend you have to dig out from to enjoy. But you do enjoy it, because you do dig out and if you have enough chips and granola bars? Even better. And if you have a movie you forgot to return and can re-watch? Heaven on a snowy earth. 


While the Kid made breakfast -- some decent energy to boost his laborious day of shoveling, the Short Drunk People made make believe. I knew something good was up when they asked me for tape and a gun. I gave over the tape. I don't know where the guns are.

With a blanket and some packing tape, they built an entire social system in the kitchen. A small mirrored image of organized society. With a hierarchy. One was the officer, one was the bad guy, and one was the Jailor. 

That's right: my children spent the morning of this snow day re-creating the American penal system in my kitchen. Built a jail, with blankets and tape when the cupboards wouldn't suffice. Imagined some banal crime (done by the "bad guy," almost always the GFYO), skipped due process and went straight to the lock-up. The prisoner broke out a good 30 seconds later -- every time -- and so mostly, this was a game of chase or tag or Let's Build a Jail in Our Kitchen With Tape Like A Fort, But, Ummm? BETTER.

A game like that.

While the Kid scrambled the eggs, I caught the bad guy once. I got shot three times but never died. I let the bad guy go so the officer and the Jailor could make themselves busy while we ate.

Yum. Snow days. 

8commentsBrilliant Person Wrote...

Susan said...

Excellent! I was gone most of the day, but when I came home there were signs of a blanket penal system in my kitchen, too! Something in the air?

A Free Man said...

Clearly your little ones are products of Bush's America. Due process? Screw due process.

Aimee said...

A free Man...funny! Look what Bush has done to the kids too!!!!
Ms. Picket JT on coke? Ha ha ha! Also, this post, this sort of play is the only reason I regret not having my kids closer together. My kids just play let's beat the crap out of each other until someone bleeds.

Carolyn...Online said...

It was a little Picket Gitmo.

At least they were all playing together. Whatever the game may be.

Deeples said...

I grew up in Arizona, so I never got to have a Snow Day... but man, did we love to make forts.

My sister and I would spend hours pretending we had survived a volcano exploding the the ground was lava... and we'd float on our blanket on the lava.. and our mom would bring us snacks and she'd carefully step on the magazine trail of stepping stones we'd make her across the lava.

I bet she cherishes those memories just like you will cherish this one.

"I don't know where the guns are."

LOL

Heather said...

Wow, have you read about the Stanford Prison Experiments? You seem to have raised superior than average humans! Way to go!

Leslie said...

So hopefully you got out of "jail" and they went back to school today!?!

Anonymous said...

Shovel?

(shudder)

(running outside to hug my snowblower)