Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Waiting for Us, Part 2

When the wind blows the right way, a call gets through. A cousin, my cousin, gets new marrow from Germany, so we celebrate with salsa as cancerless cells pump through that girl's body. A small child, my child, is anesthetized by mask and snapped back into place. She wakes up casted pinkie to mid-arm with glow-in-the-dark medical papier mache and her hovering mother and daddy, bed-side and offering ice cream. There's enough spare pillows for her elbow to take one and the house waits and holds us all.

The house leaks everywhere like always, not so much from pipes but from its own marrow: walls weep water, floors drench from underneath, ceramic tiles sweat like the forehead of a fat man. We anesthetize ourselves from it with sun and bacon and beach chairs and the contents of an almost-always full cooler. We burn and eat burgers salted with sand and take blurry pictures of mostly teeth and throat which, it turns out, is the way laughter looks on film.

Still: children will whine and weep despite fruit snacks. Married people will hurt each other in the gracious company of other married people who understand. So when the cooler empties, we fill it. When shit happens, we bury it. When the waves come, we slide a plastic sleeve over her cast and watch her sheepishly creep in, then watch her jump off bridges. When the storm comes, we take turns watching the surf disintegrate a barrier beach, which is our beach, the place where we share our second growing up. We don't cry; shoulder to damp shoulder, we marvel at the force of the thing. Like a buoy that doesn't belong to us, we send our regret to sea and let the toughness of the place take over. 

Storms of all kinds blow in, shift landscapes before eyes and then pass. Broken hands heal. Marriages rise and fall and rise again like waves.

We have waited for this week for a year, for this reclamation of who we wish to always be: mirror-less, unbelted, divine. We waited and waited and waited for this one week and like always, this house? 

It waited for us.

15commentsBrilliant Person Wrote...

Aimee said...

beautiful!

for a different kind of girl said...

I seriously want to propose marriage to you right now. Short of that, I will mask my broken heart when you turn me down gently, I want to sit on deck chairs and make you tell me stories while I look out and see every damn thing you're saying come to life.

Then I'll probably ask you to marry me again, and it will be awkward, what with our husbands and kids milling about.

minivan soapbox said...

So glad to have a happy ending...

cIII said...

Daaaaaaaaamn.

And yes. Bacon is the go-to pharmaceutical.

When you're out of Percocet, that is.

Samantha said...

you. are. a. marvelous. writer.

never forget that!

justmakingourway said...

Beautiful, Ms. P. Just beautiful.

TwoBusy said...

That. Was. Awesome.

"the way laughter looks on film"... that one's gonna stick with me for a while.

Leslie said...

Delicious.

You know that I developed my love for you right befor this trip last year? And then when Carolyn guested for you, I crushed on her too.

I soooo want a vacation like that.

My gosh, I've got penis envy for your trip.

*snicker* I said penis.

x said...

Yay!!

Love the way you wrote that.

P.S. "To:" is supposed to arrive at my house in eight days. Word. Up.

kayare said...

I love, love, love this post.

Jen W said...

What an amazing post. I feel like I was there.

Carolyn...Online said...

Sigh.

How stalky would it be if I randomly showed up at the vineyard next year. Can you see it? Me schlepping down the beach with a cooler on wheels trailing behind me and two sandy whiny children and one confused husband as we "happen" upon you on the beach.

Heh.

And you're writing... Sigh.

WaltzInExile said...

We have a place and a house and a beach like this, too. (Although we won't get to go this year *sob*) It makes me less "homesick" for our vacation to read about yours, though. I wish I could write as eloquently as you do about it, but I think I'll instead sit back and bask in the glow of having read the exact right words by someone else.

Heather said...

Lovely. I wish I could go too!

Mr Lady said...

Damn it, I love you woman.