Monday, August 31, 2009

A Weird Way to Happy

So the GFYO speaks from the back of my car. It's late and his sisters are giddy.


We'd gone to a "bon voyage" for the Kid's parents, a send-off to retirement for a paid-for house in Florida. Which apparently means bawling and wailing and sobbing of the grown ups. Which fucking pisses me off.

I do not understand it, but I try: the Kid says they have lived in one place forever. I mention telephones and airplanes and email and he hugs me. They keep crying. A drunken uncle stumbles and takes out three kids like pin balls. I say I want to go: it's so morose. The Kid agrees and we split.

My husband is the only one, besides me, who doesn't cry. Somehow, despite his birth, he knows that change is the best part of being human and that, after all, we adapt. He kisses his mother, he hugs his dad. 

I crawl into him when I get the chance: we agree after all.



9commentsBrilliant Person Wrote...

Meg said...

Change sucks sometimes. I feel for ya.

Carolyn...Online said...

Change is good and enlightening and powerful. And when you decided to make a change... well, embrace it and stop bawling about it alread.

Aimee said...

I have a hard time with change but I am learning to adapt. But sobbing and drunken stumbling.

Samantha said...

Jeez you'd think they be happy about ditching the cold weather for sunny beaches!!

I hope they enjoy their decision! Change is good, everything is temporary!

justmakingourway said...

I admit we had a similar response when my parents decided to up and splitsville to FL. (Wah! we all moved here to be near you and now you're leaving?!)
But once I realized how much happier my Dad was going to be in perpetual warm weather - I let it go.

Heather said...

I've got nothin' for you about this one. I would be as least as perplexed as you were by the situation.

I like moving. I also like it when my relatives move away. (Shrugs internet shoulders.)

patty said...

Cripes. A paid for house and a (presumably) sold house to boot? Nothing to cry about.

Lipstick Jungle said...

Retirement, sun and beaches? Sounds more like they were at a funeral then a bon voyage! My MIL does that every time she leaves for the winter. I want to bitch slap her and say "getovaitalready"! That and dont hurry back. lo

The Arkadak Papers said...

Greatt blog you have here