Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Acid Trip or Four?

While sitting around eating lunch today, the Giant Four Year Old says: "what makes my brain work?"

I say: "huh, what? what makes your brain work?"

He says: "no, I mean, what makes ME work?"

I think man, this kid is a seriously deep thinker, and then I say: "well, your brain does I guess. your brain makes you work."

He says: "oh. really? I thought it was the little white men in the black hats."

Um, what? The little white men? In the black hats?

Does he mean something like this:



Maybe he meant to say "the black man in the black hat":



Or, "the white man in the black hat":



(Shudder.)

And then I thought, and I was thinking fast -- because seriously, what the fuck -- I thought, I hope to God it is not this little man



who is operating with his tiny cohorts somewhere inside my kid's skull. Because that's just taking this whole inane comment to a whole other freakishly scary level that I am not sure I can handle. At all.

He pushed his yogurt away, licked his lips, hopped off the chair and attempted to tell me a knock knock joke which went like this:

Knock Knock?
Who's there? I say (half-assed because I am too busy obsessing about the tiny white men).
Mom.
Yeah, I say.

No, he says.

Wait? what? I say. (Tiny white men. In black hats. In son's head.)

Knock, knock?
Who's there?
Mom.
Yes! What? What do you want? I thought you were telling a joke. (Black hats. Little men. In head)

I am dumbass, he says. You say, Mom who?

Oh. Mom who?

Mom, you are CRAZY!

And then I tell him are you calling me crazy? you're the one with little white men in black hats inside your head! isn't this all a little pot calling the kettle names? that's a good one!

7commentsBrilliant Person Wrote...

Kristin @ Going Country said...

I'm seeing a lot of you in your son . . .

Anonymous said...

I hope it's the first one! Seems the least harmful.

Major Bedhead said...

Uh huh. Y'know, I'd back slowly away, but I have these weird leapfrogging thoughts, too, so, yeah. I kinda get it.

Lynsey said...

You make me feel like a normal parent :) I appriciate that.

Lyns

MsPicketToYou said...

crazy is as crazy does. maybe. right? right? oh lord.

Aimee said...

He's talking about pilgrims and he's just being philosophical. Sheesh.

Heather said...

He should meet my daughter. They would have a lot to discuss.