Sunday, June 22, 2008

Queen of Clean

I spent the weekend cleaning. (There was dancing too -- see below-- but yo, mostly cleaning.)

Not like tidying cleaning, but like washing the window screens cleaning. Thankfully (for me), this happens maybe twice a year (maybe three times) and usually at the beginning of the school year and at the end. Mostly, it has to do with paper management.

When the school year starts, I get all Super Mom with my charts and my bins and my hooks and my extremely organized arts and crafts supplies. (The smell of new pencils, newly sharpened new pencils, fills me with the kind of nostalgic joy I reserve for little else besides new corduroy pants and cinnamon toast.) I clean out every clothes drawer with manic ecstasy, leaving heaps of piles to give away or to throw away or to give back to whomever they belong to. I clean out all the toys (an exercise that has gotten easier over the years, since our collection has shrunk to blocks and cars and board games with a few action figures thrown in). I clean out the mud room and move the worn out flips flops and useless, broken goggles to make way for sneakers and cleats and wind breakers. And those charts I mentioned? Oh, good Lord, have I made some decent charts in my life: picture-coded when they couldn't read, with words when they could, with all sorts of goals and rules and schedules for the morning and the after school and the bedtime.

It lasts maybe two weeks. Give or take, but two weeks is a decent estimate of how long I can handle my perfection.

Still, it's a ritual of wishful fantasy and a girl's gotta dream.

At the end of the school year, it's another kind of unload, another kind of fantasy clean. The backpacks come home clogged with a year's worth of papers and work books and projects to add to the year's worth we already have at home -- on bulletin boards, in files, on book shelves, shoved into Home Management Systems. The sneakers are beyond stink, the cleats are done for a few months, and all the sleds and snow goggles and ski helmets -- out and about though it hasn't snowed in months -- are taking up valuable space. There is too much stuff around here! And the car is a literal wasteland of waste! And I think my foot just stuck to the floor! And I can't see through the dusty window screens anymore and OH.MY.GOD! We need to clean this friggin' house! RIGHT! NOW!

My back hurts. My hair hurts. In an effort to vaccuum ever square inch, I flung the cord in a furious fury and smacked myself in the eye with the plug. I think it's swelling now, but I'm okay. Really.

I can report, however one-eyed, that the new tilty windows work when you want to clean them but that one also feels a little like Mrs. Cleaver when doing so. I can report that every piece of clothing that is not on a body is clean and folded (though not yet put away) and that the fridge has been cleared of any science experiments growing within. I also can report that that I have successfully culled worthwhile works of art and/or scholarly achievement from those destined for the recycling bin. (And I did this at a Roadrunner pace because God forbid anyone see me actually toss something they spent like what? nine minutes creating.)

But I did find this pinned to the cork beneath the certificates of award, A+ papers, invitations by Oprah to attend the next Brilliant and Amazing Kids show other stuff:




and hello? I think that's a fairy tale I can believe in.

5commentsBrilliant Person Wrote...

Jen W said...

The cord in your eye??? Ha Ha. If it makes you feel any better, I shut the trunk of our car on my nose tonight which means either a) I have an absolutely gi-normous nose or b) I'm just a complete idiot. I'm not sure which it is.

MsPicketToYou said...

jen w --it means your nose is lovely and you were thinking about something else. or drunk.

and my eye is gigantic and lovely too.

Anonymous said...

I love the dusty castle. And she can't get out! I'm still laughing.

I am never - never - overtaken by the urge to clean. Must get over my laziness and become a grown up.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

I laughed out loud when I got to the part about the vacuum cord, but it was a sympathy laugh, because that is totally something I would do.

The other night, my husband and I both turned over in bed at the same time, facing each other, and I smacked my brow bone on his absolutely ROCK HARD head. I lay there whimpering for a couple of minutes before I realized he wasn't going to wake up to offer any sympathy or apologies, and then I went back to sleep. It was red and swollen for at least two days. Awesome.

Floaterie said...

ok--I see your cord/eye mishap and raise you getting rammed in the eye by your dauchsand's head (which left it B&B), while it ran over your face--get this--and it's penis GOES INTO YOUR MOUTH---all at the tender age of 12.

Did I mention it was in front of my crush?

and that I died a slow painful death immidiately after in front of said boy?

and I so heart the queen and her dusty castle, BTW. Fantastical.