Sunday, December 7, 2008

Snowglobe 1

My nine year old niece collects snow globes, which I think as far as collections go, is a pretty awesome one. Snow globes are uniformly loved. Tip 'em over, shake 'em up, and some magical beautiful place appears, a miniature version of perfection under snow, a fairy tale in glycerin and under glass. Plus, every gift store in the world sells some version of a snow globe, making her hobby much easier had, than, say, rare coins or fiesta ware, which I don't think most nine year olds are into, but whatever.

This weekend, the Small Town looked snowglobe-ish -- especially this morning, when the Town Criers (aka: the Short Drunk People) alerted us to the season's first flakes. The GFYO said it was "raining snow" and I didn't correct him, because I liked the phrase and also because it was the nicest kind of snow: windshield wipers could handle it, shovels could stay hidden. It was the painted kind of snow that covers up all the dirt and drudgery of the Fall and makes the leafless trees look less lonely and more like sculpture in the sky. It's the best kind, because it was the first one.

I sent some photos of the weekend in the Small Town to my friend who lives in a snowless, concrete city and I started to regret it almost instantly. Every.single.one seemed sweeter than the next. It irked me, even before she got a little jealous; it irked me, because even though I knew she knew what I was doing (sharing, wishing she were here), all of the pictures seemed too pretty and too cute and like some anonymous postcard of quaintness, a snow globe of sorts, something under glass and not quite real. 

All small towns are pretty, well, pretty much the same. My Small Town isn't much different, though it looks better sometimes, especially now, especially in pictures, but it suffers like all the rest. Just like some sparkling cities (some on Hills, some below the Mason-Dixon, some before and beyond the Rocky Mountains), my Small Town has fault lines that threaten to shake everything up. There is competitiveness and loneliness and greediness and unkindness that live in between everything well-intentioned and decent and good and lovely. 

Beauty on the outside does not mean there is not ugliness underneath, just as ugly on the outside can beget the most amazingly beautiful things inside. I've seen that, actually, with my own eyes.

More. Later. Until then this song I have been waiting for:


11commentsBrilliant Person Wrote...

Carolyn...Online said...

People are people everywhere so you might as well live someplace pretty. Right? Right. And the water and the snow and ugh. I'm off to the mall... Sadly.

Carolyn...Online said...

Oh and I dig the song.

Anonymous said...

As your small town is not unlike my small town, I'll just say... I kinda get what you mean.

(And while I'm not a FoW fan by any stretch of the imagination, it's impossible not to like that song. Although I'm baffled by the fact that he's wearing a Regis College shirt.)

Anonymous said...

Carolyn is cracking me up "people are everywhere" LOL
Oh, no, wait. It says "people are people everywhere." Nevermind me. I need coffee to go with the tunes you so thoughtfully provided, I guess :)

Jen W said...

Thank goodness for the holidays because it makes me like more people than I usually do. And I love snow globes, too.

Aimee said...

OMG we are under a big obnoxious blanket of snow. I'm glad yours is the nice kind.

Major Bedhead said...

OK, I'm totally out of the loop. I didn't even know FoW were from the next town over from me.

Susan said...

We had freezing rain here on the sandy spit. So close, and yet so far.

For Myself said...

How did I somehow miss this post? Well, I loved it. And you hit ot right on the...wait for it...HEAD!

Lipstick Jungle said...

I love small town Christmas when it is nighttime and all the streets are aglow with prettiness. It makes you forget the ugliness in the world.

For one month I wouldn't mind dusk all day long just to keep the illusion from fading to light.

I would also like for one month - or an eternity - which ever comes first - the media stop talking about sad shit, and let us be jolly at the holidays! I think we all know whats goin' on, just let us hide in our small town pretty without the ugly for a while!

A Free Man said...

Fountains of Wayne! Fantastic pop music, isn't it. Perfect song for this post as well!