Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Spit

I speak of the card game, lest you were getting all gaggy thinking I might be contemplating saliva. (Which I could and maybe I will. But not today.) Today, I speak of the card game Spit and more importantly, the fact that the girls have been playing it nonstop since we returned home from our three-day endless drive multiple family multiple location Thanksgiving shenanigans.


They are playing it obsessively because their equally obsessive mother, aunt, and older cousins are one more hand of Canasta away from Gambler's Anonymous. That's right: Canasta, the card game of bronzed gin-swilling grannies everywhere. There wasn't even money involved, yet our furious shuffling, scoring, shouting, cheating was world-class. 

It used to be Mahjong and Rummy Cube for my mom and my aunts and I remember them playing games all afternoon too. (It was kind of a rite of passage when you were invited to the table to learn, aka: get your ass kicked.)  

The good news is that though it's clearly a genetic problem, it appears to be a situational disease, occurring only (but always) on family gatherings for them, and apparently, for me too -- except for that one time when me and my Vineyard friends, kid-less at the time, limitless in what we could do any damn night of the week, played freaking Canasta for hours upon hours upon hours. I know. It embarrasses me too. Canasta! Eegadsta! No kids and that's what we did? (There was also Dry Marco Polo but I am pretty sure I was sworn to never explain the deets on that one...) (Did I just write "deets", like, out loud? Oh gawd.)

So the girls half-ass shuffle and messily deal and maybe cheat and play and play. I step in for a couple hands, because I am a good mother after all, and it dawns on me that Spit is a math game -- a math freakin' game -- and I begin to feel all redeemed in passing along my card playing problem. An educational activity they are playing together? Who knew I was that good of a good mother? 

So I sneak off to read philosophy shower and fold laundry (in that order if you must know) and I am so very, very pleased with my... my... well... I am very pleased with just.about.everything. 

Then: it comes:

First a shout, then some words, then a crash, then another crash, and while I wish to hide under my bed, I am not that fast it appears because there they are, all red-faced and pissed off, with the GFYO in tow, because he loves him some good drama.

Let's just leave it with the immortal words of Kenny Rogers: you need to know when to fold 'em.

13commentsBrilliant Person Wrote...

For Myself said...

Hahaha! Can I come and play? At least can I let my gray hairs go gray for reals and swig some gin with you in front of some cards? Maybe not just yet, some sometime down the line for sure, okay?
I do love me some cards and some booze.

Carolyn...Online said...

Canasta. Love it.

Scott taught the girls to play poker a few years ago. If Parker doesn't win she'll put your eye out with the flying chips. Scary.

Major Bedhead said...

My sister and I used to have marathon sessions of Spit. And War.

Now, if you want some dangerous fun, find Jungle Speed. I've seen people fly across the table playing that game.

Anonymous said...

But let's get back to Dry Marco Polo.

Jen W said...

I used to love Gin Rummy and War. My husband and his friends used to have a pretty bad Eukre (sp?) addiction.

Lipstick Jungle said...

I would like to derail your thoughts for a moment and discuss with you this little known subject... Dry Marco Polo?

I have a feeling there were no dry glasses involved.

So SPIT I mean SHARE!!!

Isnt it funny that all it takes is a family gathering to bring out some of the best games ever?

Canasta I am not sure of - so I will have to come over some time and play. Notice how I invited myself? Well I am currently packing my bags, so get the gin out (although I prefer rum), set me a spot at the table, and lets party like bronzed gin swilling grannies.

Cuz I am all over this rearing my own kids today!

The Floydster said...

What a hoot! Too bad you couldn't dive under the bed fast enough before they were on you - I'm sure you solved the problem in good mother fashion. All the bickering with siblings came rushing back as i was reading this.

Heather said...

I have no idea what you are talking about! I never play cards, because, of family issues. (I am genetically incapable of sitting still that long.)

But good for you.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

And YOU need to know when to walk away and know when to run. (And hide under the bed.)

Deeples said...

Seems to me, you either come from a CARDS FAMILY or you don't.

My family - poker, gin, canasta, bridge, cribbage.. OH MY GOD THE CRIBBAGE...

My husband's family - Maybe played Mille Bornes.. once. And probably Old Maid. The closest they came to playing cards as a family.

I, personally, believe that kids raised in families that play cards and board games - but mostly cards - do learn to apply math more quickly. Kind of like language immersion programs, but with... you know, pegs and poker chips and people yelling, "KNOBS!!"

Aimee said...

Do you have a little aimeepalooza??? I used to throw tables and cards and game boards at my siblings when they beat me. Risk is not fun to clean...

A Free Man said...

At least they're out of your hair until things reach the "MOMMY!" point.

Samantha said...

brings me back to when my little bro and I used to play spit one summer.. all day, every day. good times.