Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Blues, Confession, And More Snowglobes

Yet another day of doing n.o.t.h.i.n.g. Puttered. Wandered. Ignored the home phone that was ringing. Moved a stuffed santa from one couch to the next. Couldn’t find his pants and thought, who cares? Helped with homework. Which sucked. I shouldn’t bother helping Bridget with anything because she will just scream -- “Why do you always want me to be perfect?” -- which is exactly what she did tonight while working on her letter to Barack Obama, as in “Hey Barack, get some smart people together and fix the war, k?” which made perfect sense to me but I guess it was my tone and suggesting that we not refer to the president elect by his first name.

I don’t have to cook a second dinner at least, since The Kid left today for LA. Won’t be back until next Friday. Which is wildly effed up, Christmas-y timing wise and all, but frankly I am sorta relishing the solo time (and the fact that he has a job). Still, “solo” is a relative word. Solo in my case is a three-versus-one kind of solo.


The truth is I am bored. I am bored of almost everything. Bored of my house, bored of my car, bored of the teevee and the radio and the news, bored of music (even!), bored. Bored of the boringness that runs laps through my head. Bored of being on a track of boring, which is so completely and utterly boring.

The truth is if I force myself out of the house, for the non-obligatory kind of things, I get bored of my boring thoughts that I will have nothing but boring things to say. That's the kind of mother of God boring I speak of. 

Which I realize sounds a bit like a bigger kind of Blues. Pretty sure it isn't. Been there, at least once before, and this just feels like... malaise, a word that stands in quite elegantly for, um, "bored."

So I sent my friend some pictures but not every picture tells a story (so says Rod Stewart) and sometimes pictures are not always the story you wanted to tell or even the real story or maybe even any story at all. Sometimes, a pretty picture is just a pretty picture, a bunch of pixels strung together. Sometimes, a pretty picture is snowflakes flung about and hanging in some weird sticky liquid place, waiting for someone else's imagination to make it what it should be or at least how you wish it was. 

The pictures I sent did not tell a story that was "boring" or "bored" or "ho hum" or "whatevs." They seemed so completely carpe diem and engaged and I don't think I am either thing right now. Still, I'm glad I sent them, because as it turns out, after I confessed the feeling of fraud, I discovered that the boring thing seems to be a minor plague upon the land. Seems I am not the only one living in Boreville.

Maybe I need to shake up my imaginary snow globe and see another picture, a new pretty town all my own, a city on a hill, a whole new world of possibilities. Maybe I should shake it up and the scene will change with the snow and where it lands. The whole thing -- the boredom, the blues, all the blah blah blah -- maybe it exists in my fist. If the tiny world under glass is mine, right here in my grip? Then I should know that whatever it is I need or think I want, all I need to do is flip it over, shake shake and see what happens.

Maybe this is exactly why I write. Because I like manipulating words, twisting them, turning them upside down in my mouth and over and over in my brain and coming out in the end with a whole new something I never expected. Maybe I need to do that right now. Maybe I am.


Insert your own snow globe.......












here. 














Oh, and happy shaking.


18commentsBrilliant Person Wrote...

Kristin @ Going Country said...

I may have used the word "malaise" more than once over the last few days. In conjunction with the word "Christmas." I can't get into it this year. Suck.

So I guess I'm bored and boring, too. Which means I can't help you. Lo siento.

Meg said...

I've totally shaken up my own snow globe and it's a quite scary. But it's the only way to change and grow, I'm told.

anymommy said...

Malaise. Now I have the right word. That's what it is. Not unhappy, just blah. I love the idea of shaking my snow globe a little. Everyone needs to do that sometimes!

Unknown said...

Bored is a really hard thing to overcome. Seems as we get older it becomes harder and harder to find things that make our heart race in a good adrenaline pumping, white knuckling it while screaming and laughing at the same time.

During times like those, I long for my first kiss, that thrill of seeing your new love walking towards you, the first time you really made out, got felt up, had sex. The first time you got drunk, really defied your parents, snuck out of the house, went to your first concert at a small venue, danced to ridiculously loud music and got lost in it all.

And everyone got home safe.

Yea, those exciting things don't seem to happen to me anymore. I love to look back though and remember the feeling. The awesome feelings before bills and being a responsible parent, and worrying about snow tires and check ups and if I started the dishwasher.

sigh

Thank Goodness kids are funny, because otherwise this life would be a real Beeyotch.

Happy reflecting,

Gabbi

Susan said...

That is the most fantastic snow globe I have ever seen. And I've seen a few, boy howdy.

RhoRho said...

I too am afflicted by your particular malady, Ms. P. No matter how much is on that ta-do list, I still find myself often bored. That's where the buzz comes in, and makes everything seem a little more exciting, at least temporarily. We have gotta be cut from the same cloth, so-ta-speak.

Leslie said...

Hmmm. You need some excitement under the tree this year, eh?

I had a holiday season like this a few years ago. I totally scrooged out...no tree, no Santas (and believe me, I DO Santas)...I had malaiseitis, big time.

Here's hoping you find the fix soon.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Mizz Picket bored of music even? Shake it up girl! I don't know what I'll do if YOU are bored of music!

Major Bedhead said...

Malaise is such a great descriptor. I have it too. In spades. Sucks.

Carolyn...Online said...

It's the season. And the lack of daylight. And the post-Thanksgiving pre-Christmas blahs. Turn on every light in your house today then leave. Get your nails done. Play on your phone. Have a really good coffee. Then come back to your bright and shiny house and turn on some good music. Then sigh because you went to all of this effor to feel better and the kids will be home any minute to ruin it!

Anonymous said...

Apparently, your snow globe house is on Plum Island. Yikes.

Beyond which: "malaise" is much cooler than bored, if only because when you say it with a French accent it allows you to cop an attitude. Not unlike that of Bridget, now that I think of it.

But back to the snowglobe: I think that's a great idea. Shake it up. See where things land. Put words to the pictures. And find out if it takes you somewhere interesting.

Anonymous said...

I've been there Ms. P. Sometimes these feelings that overwhelm are actually a gift -- a catalyst -- a "get off your butt and make a big ass change" kind of thing. When you write your memoirs (and you had better!) I firmly believe you will look back at the Christmas 2008 Malaise as a turning point. Go ahead, do something a little crazy, just for you. Tap into the spirit of that little girl tied up on the porch, facing the storm....

Anonymous said...

Well said Pandamom!
Get that party started - Ms. P!

Lipstick Jungle said...

I'm bored too. Not with you though. And seriously, I want to shake that bugger up a little and see which goes first - the house? Physics apparently are things I ponder when bored.

I am so bored with my own life that I am still not ready for work and it starts in 3 minutes.

S'pose I should dry my hair and get dressed eh?

Or maybe hang out here longer... Who would I call into anyway? I am right here!

Oh, and the homework thing... I think I will not be allowed to help and or view homework again... Mantha came home with her "terms worth" of advanced math that earned her a B the other day. I went all "you made this mistake? Seriously? If you would have gotten that one right, you would have gotten a B+! And that one? That one you forgot to do. Had you done that one you would have gotten an A-...on and on and on". So you see, I became my father, and she became me, and the conversation ended with her saying "I thought you would have been proud that I didn't get a C".

Um yeah, there is that.

Bad mom.

So is your snow melting today? Looks rainy and warm there. Teens and windy here today. Ick.

Teri said...

Hi there. I found you from Heather's blog (Ghost...). I have felt this way of late too. And I feel the answer is in shaking things up, as you said so well. Happy shaking. I'm going to try to shake my own snow globe up in hinterland.

For Myself said...

I hear you should always shake a martini too.

Maaalllaaaiiissse....it rolls off the toungue pretty easily for me these days too.

Fuuuukkkkinnnnmmmaaaalllllaaaaiiise...................................

MereCat said...

geez. I'm bored too. WTF's our problem? It's Christmas and such. We should be consumed with activity. But I was just thinking about this today as I sat on the couch watching FInding Nemo for the seventh time while it rained like a bitch.

Bored.
As.
Hell.

Samantha said...

I am SO living in Boreville.