Thursday, December 11, 2008

The Way Karma Works, Or, Religion and A Girl

I was not raised with religion, except for the religion that we "didn't do" religion, the same way we also didn't say "I love you" the way some other families did. My father was a philosophical ex-catholic atheist and my mother was like her mother: she said we believed in Santa Claus.


I get nervous around churches, especially big ones with stained glass. Despite my lack of christian training, there must be something in the blood: I feel guilty when I step inside. I am the daughter of a non-believer, whose dad said "you don't need to bow your head; just be quiet and respectful" and so being the dutiful daughter, I do it still. I'm all awestruck and chin-up in a church and scanning the room for other disbelievers (sinners?) like me.

But philosophy or the love of it and my mother's paintings? That is a kind of spirituality that is more about living things. It's about morality and a knowing kind of participation in life and not about where your body goes when it dies. And that worked for me as a kid. It worked for me less as a thinky college student trying to make up her own kind of religion, but I think that's part of the process of growing up. I didn't so much lose my religion -- I wished to find one -- what with rebellion and the way it goes. 

I ended like most kids: right back where I came from. I am still scared in churches and wondering if anyOne is watching and get, well, thinky like my dad and paint words like my mom.
 
 ***

Today, a little bit of mine and theirs and Buddha and God and some divine force of Mother Nature collided for me. It was raining (of course) and I had a blind date with a grieving woman.

I spare the details, because they are not my details, but I will say that afterwards, I couldn't stop thinking about why bad things happen and reasons for it and karma and the whole thing about God. 

I have decided that bad things happen to good and bad people all the time, senselessly and totally devoid of reason. I have decided that it's what happens after something bad happens that measures our role in the grander scheme. That's when karma is either a blessing or a bitch. 

***

I wanted to shake things up? 

I think just saying that I did a couple days ago made some of the ripples of blessings around this grieving woman touch me. Because today my sister who has never loved music as much as me sent me three songs to hear -- and I dug 'em. Because today my other sister said I told a story that was the gift she was waiting for. Because today a friend, my comrade in grown-up tomboy, shared with me something that made her cry (in a good way) and that made me cry (in a good way) and that I passed along, which I never ever do, and it made other people cry (yeah, in a good way).

Maybe it's God or Buddha or Mohammed or who knows. Maybe it's magic. All I know is that today I believe some dots I couldn't connect were connected by someone or something that is not me. 

And maybe that's karma, yo. 

Maybe.

15commentsBrilliant Person Wrote...

A Free Man said...

Beautiful. Just beautiful. Like you I have no truck with organized religion, but have my own very well defined spirituality. And karma is a huge part of it. That's what keeps me on the straight and narrow!

For Myself said...

Beautiful.

I think if you believe that you were being sent some type of message by karma, it means that you were ready to send it to yourself in some kind of way. And to receive it (the harder part...) Also that you are ready to fully accept something as truth.

That is a Herculean task. It's massive. It could really shake things up, yo?

Carolyn...Online said...

I believe in Santa. And the internet. And my kids. And my friends. And sunny days. And that time is short. And also long enough to screw it up which is why you have to be careful. And Karma. And infinity. And I believe my friend Ms. Picket is a lovely writer.

Lipstick Jungle said...

I have told you this before, and I will say it again - I believe in people and all the things they do or do not believe in. Because with a heart and a soul, and compassion and love for things that are not always the same as the love for things I love, people are good in all shapes sizes, walks and runs.

And you my friend are infinitely good. You write to my soul. It makes me happy, and sad, and "thinky" (I love that word), and it makes me want to grab something liquid and road trip it east.

I believe in Santa. I don't care what anyone says - he is real!

Unknown said...

I just love reading your blog.

Thanks,
Gabbi

RhoRho said...

The last time I went to church I was five and I cried because my mom stood up to sing. We never went back. My Dad, also an atheist, an ex-Methodist preacher's son...he wasn't there. Well I may have dropped in a church for funerals, wedding, and such, but anyway....dude you and I were seriously separated at birth.
So how's things on the Boredom front?

Teri said...

Hey Ms. Picket,

I've been around the block and back as far as faith/belief. Was raised in a Christian (Methodist) home. Went to the brink of Atheism in college. Questioned. Read. I've come to the point in my life where I've re-embraced my faith. And with a fairly liberal belief system, I think it's like you say. Bad things happen to good and bad people all the time. It's what happens afterward that is divine or karma or whatever you want to call it. Semantics are secondary. You can't prove God. I can look at that face on and accept it. But I do think there must be something. My Christianity is a practice I use to approach that infinity. And I think there's a niche for all kinds in this world. We are a symphony of thoughts, words, lives interwined. I like to think it makes music somewhere.

Nice post. Take care!

oneheavenlyheart said...

Yes, yes, and YES! I'm from the opposite side where religion in my family has always been (And still is to my nauseous stomach) the blind driving force behind EVERYTHING. It's so zealously devoid of original thought or tangible reasoning and it makes me SO SO tired.

I think a lot about god and buddha and energy and karma. I think the universe keeps showing us the same things (Good or Bad) until we get it. Certainly the true test of who we are comes during trial, tribulation, or tragedy and afterwards when we choose our next path.

This quote I keep open on my little meditation corner because it helps get me through the day...
"You cannot, and will not, encounter
a circumstance, or a single moment,
that does not serve directly and immediately the need of your soul to heal."

So when I'm full of laments about a break up or a death or a limitless supply of unexpected bills... I stop and realize all the lessons I'm supposed to learn about being true to myself or if I'm selfish or unrealistically materialistic or co-dependent to something/someone. And AFTER... I always come out feeling better and knowing I'm a better person for it.

Thanks for saying it in beautiful words that I could have never come up with myself.

Jen W said...

God (no pun intended) I love your thinky posts.

Major Bedhead said...

"I have decided that bad things happen to good and bad people all the time, senselessly and totally devoid of reason. I have decided that it's what happens after something bad happens that measures our role in the grander scheme. That's when karma is either a blessing or a bitch.

This? This is my new mantra.

Awesome as ever, Ms. P.

The Floydster said...

I'm like Teri - born and raised in a Christian household. Funny to me that the Methodists don't do a lot of thinking, according to Teri - on my branch of Christiandom Methodists were "liberals"; the only liberal I knew was my Aunt Bunny who definitely is a thinker. Glad to know that the conservative branches aren't the only ones that bear non-thinkers. My adult life has been coming to grips with daring to think for myself; TRUST my instincts and original thoughts; dare to break out of the constrictive ropes of how fundamentalist Christianity defines people. (I have my mom to thank for that - her background was from Lutherans/Congregationalists and only went down the fundamentalistic road to please my dad. I can remember her saying many times, "just because someone in a church says something is so doesn't make it true, necessarily.) I agree with you wholeheartedly - it what people do after life has flattened them - either through our own doings or the doings of others - that makes the difference.
Wonderful post, Ms. P!

Meg said...

Who would have thought that your readership is a bunch of closet atheists?

I, too, find connection in people, music, nature and that's my spirituality.

For the past few days I've been listening to a book on tape by a Buddhist nun called, The Places That Scare You. She's the author of When Things Fall Apart.

Highly recommended!

Meg said...

And you are such as damn good writer.

Samantha said...

I like when you got all philosophical and thinky. You have a way of putting difficult things in the best words.

Anonymous said...

This was beautifully written. I'm enjoying your blog and getting to know Ms. Picket. Great stuff!

-Chris