Saturday, December 13, 2008

Santa is a Woman on Fire

It is week one, t-minus one more, of 3v1 solo-time. 


We were supposed to go to the mall, have lunch, have fun, but I cancelled it due to bad behavior. Naturally, the punishment was worse on me. It was a long ass day with three kids (since I also cancelled play dates too; sorry neighbor kids). And it's cold enough that I can kick them outside for short bursts only. But I have to be a mean mean mom because this fighting and tattling and constant crap must end.

My sisters were older than me by 6 and 7 years so the sibling fight club is kind of new to me. It would be completely foreign if not for my friend Amy, who was the middle of five kids under five, and when I think of them all, I remember nothing but a cloud of dirt hanging over them, Pig Pen style, as they kicked the crap out of each other on the rug or in the yard or at the beach. Amy's sister once glued the pages of Amy's diary together and for a long, long time, that was the height of cruelty to me. How dare she? All.those.memories.... I think we were 11 at the time.

Which is not to say that I did not try to get my chops in with my sisters. I did. I used my mouth -- surprise surprise -- but that was stupid: they would hold my forehead at arm's length while I chomped away and snarled and tried like some rabid baby lion to bite them. I never even got a nibble in, what with the arm of an older stronger sister (who was laughing) holding me back. I resorted to snooping through their rooms when they were gone. 

I spend a lot of time alone in this parenting thing, what with the Kid's crazy schedule, so when I tell you that I hit the fucking wall today, it is not so much because he's been gone, it is because it was just that bad. In a desperate tired moment, I evoked the Santa threat and initiated a kind of Christmas boot camp. In the lowest moment, I said that if I were Santa I would re-think my route and my naughty list. 

I feel only half-bad about that. 

The good news? The house is sparkly clean because I can be fierce with the cleaning supplies when I am pissed. I am sure it will look like this for twelve hours or less. I can't imagine how we'll get through another long cold day tomorrow. Maybe we'll try to do the mall again. Maybe I'll take them on a walk, Bataan style. 

Santa is a bitch sometimes. 

Especially when she's looking through her photos for a picture for the freakin' Christmas card she hasn't gotten together and finds this one and thinks -- really? you can't sleep in your own beds alone and choose instead to snuggle into this tiny one with the brother and sisters you scratch and claw and tell on and claim are ruining your lives? really? it's like that? I mean, look at you! Crammed in there and nice and quiet and cozy and completely not fighting

I think I should take this picture and glue it to your freakin' foreheads so you remember exactly what Santa is trying her very hardest to remember right now: that you are sweet and sugar plummish and worth it.

Even when I am pretty much sure that all of you Short Drunk People should spend the night in the car. 

19commentsBrilliant Person Wrote...

Jen W said...

Oh, I feel you on this one. I really, really do! I have to threaten that I have Santa on speed dial!

MsPicketToYou said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Samantha said...

Yikes... well if your ever ready to revoke christmas and you need a break from reality, remember to call your amazing babysitter who has no life outside of babysitting and would love nothing better to take the Short Drunk People off your hands for a few hours.

Love you!

Leslie said...

That picture is very adorable. A-door-ah-blay!

Uhg. I could not imagine being stuck inside with three at that age. Oy!

Major Bedhead said...

The screaming, the crying, the hitting with blocks. The fun never ends.

Sorry it's at your house, too.

Anonymous said...

I look at mine sleeping like that and think: ah cute, should I wake them up? ... Then I remember that then they would be Short Hungover People ...

For Myself said...

A pissy Ms. Claus can do some damage with her cleaning supplies. I happen to know that FOR CERTAIN!
Because you're prepared for tomorrow (today) to suck, it will probably be one of those cherished quiet days when the rediscover legos or something. Oh, shut up. Just BELIEVE.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

It is one of nature's cruelest mechanisms that allows a human to have a baby every nine months. It virtually ensures the parents will be outnumbered.

Well, unless you're me. But I'm outnumbered by animals. Does that count?

A Free Man said...

I can't wait until my kid's old enough to start using Santa as a threat.

Anonymous said...

Ha! I recognize that last threat... "If I hear one more sound coming out of this room tonight, you're spending the night in the truck." My wife looooves when I play that card.

Lipstick Jungle said...

I have threatened umpteen times this weekend to cancel christmas. If it werent for the fact that someone close to me went out of her way to help me find the perfect gift for the family, I would follow through with the threat.

And I too have cards (last years actually) made and ready to send - sans a stupid I mean perfect picture...

Anonymous said...

Are your kids in the witness protection program? Cause they ain't even recognizable in that shot and it's totally cute.

My sister and I are grown ass women and still sleep in the same bed on christmas eve!

The Floydster said...

Tattling, bickering - we Floyd kids were pros at it. Its a wonder we lived to adulthood. I loved your line "maybe I'll take them on a walk, Bataan style." :)

Susan said...

I frequently threaten to lock mine in a closet and make them hold hands and say nice things to one another. But I really like the idea of a Bataan death march or sleeping in the car!

Hope today is more peaceful!

Nash's Mom said...

First of all, I called your holiday card pic this summer when I saw the family picture at the beach on your FB page (back when you did that sort of thing). Um, beyond perfect. Not that this one ain't wicked cute.

Second, there is clearly something in this pre-santa air that is making the children crazy. You are not alone! We got a flippin' kitten Saturday and I still got the "I'm sooooo bored" about 900 times yesterday. Maybe instead of the traditional "cookie swap" we could do a "kid swap". I would totally take yours for a few hours if you would take mine!!

Hang in there....

bernthis said...

I've had that happen where I feel my daughter needs to be punished but then realize it would totally screw up my day by doing whatever it was I thought she should not be able to do at that time. Grrrr...

MereCat said...

Oh man. December anarchy. That's what all the "better watch out, better not cry" shit is about in the Santa songs. It's for real, too. Santa will make you sleep in the CAR! HA!

Hang in there. It's just an unholy ten more days of hell. This will be my last year of blissful ignorance. Next year the whoopass is going to have to come out.

Carolyn...Online said...

So this is it huh? This is what leads a grown woman down the path to speed quarters.

Anonymous said...

CUTE picture!
That 'cleaning while pissed' thing? The more mellow I get, the more I need to hire somebody to clean this place. Or move out.