Monday, December 15, 2008

Does My Butt Look Big In These Pajamas?

I am not a morning person. 


There has been nothing about me that has found the beauty in a sunrise (unless it's after an all-nighter and then I gotta kinda squint to see it while I high five some partner in crime). I have never heard anything melodious in a rooster's crow and think mostly, SHUT IT rooster, you nag. There has never been anything at all that is morning-like or -esque or -ish that I have liked, and in fact, if not for coffee and the occasional bacon, egg and cheese and the Three Short Drunk People, I am pretty sure noon would be my Morning. Noon or maybe 11 on an especially busy day. 

(I think this is why the music business suited me like the suit people wear when they find a suit that fits them perfectly. No one likes an early-rising rock star.)

This morning, at the ungodly 7:10 am, I found myself downstairs and hustling through some idea of short order cookery and also finder-of-missing-things-extraordinaire, and I thought: can not these children see how misplaced I am here at this hour? And naturally, they could not.

They were like they usually are at the crack of ass: hopped up on sleep and good nature and talk talk talking more than I think anyone should talk when decent people are asleep. And by decent people, I mean: me.

In the interest of managing all their expectations, I got it done while half-dressed (and half-awake) and after the girls left, I hustled the GFYO to pre-school in what might be considered "pants" but are really pajamas. Maybe not so much pajamas and maybe more the clothes one would wear when one anticipates never leaving the house. Elastic waist, flannel, saggy in every way. 

In the driveway, he said, "are those your exer-sis-size pants?" and naturally he can't pronounce the word because it is a foreign word and I say no. 

He says, while he approaches the door to the car, "are you wearing your pajamas to school?" and I think about that for a minute and I weigh the many options I have to respond and I say, yes. And then I add: it's because I went to college and after you do that, you are totally allowed to wear your pajamas anywhere.

My sweet GFYO, my new partner in crime, he climbs in the car with me and we ride the two point five minutes to his school. He says nothing; I say nothing (what with it being now 8:25 in the morning which is like three hours before I should be waking up). 

He hangs up his coat on the hook with his picture taped on it and he turns to me and he says, "mom!" and I say "yes GFYO" and he says, "mom, I am SO going to college."

And I say I hope so and I also say I know you will and I kiss his cheeks and send him off and out and on his way. And then I drive home. I think there is not so much more that I could accomplish in one day and while I consider the lure of my duvet and my pillow for a while, I beat it back. 

I drink more coffee and I race off to another day. I put on pants with a zipper and I carry on.

27commentsBrilliant Person Wrote...

RhoRho said...

I know right? I have realized that I have exactly three years (when Becks goes to k-garten) to figure my shit out so I can make money NOT going all Joe vs. The Volcano and shit. I'd rather kill myself than do that again. And today, we all wore our jammies ALL DAY LONG.
ROCK ON star child!

Anonymous said...

Ah, there are so many places I could go with this.

1. Pajama pants can TOTALLY be worn anywhere. I don't give a damn about 'social norms'. Social norms can bite me

2. GFYO dreaming about college at his age = adorable

3. I am SO not a morning person. Once I am up, have some coffee, turn on some music I am ok. What I am NOT ok with is talking. So.much.talking when I am with others in the morning.
Saturday morning after approximately 3 hours of sleep, MP woke me up with lots of talking. The only thing I could do was pull the covers over my head and say, "Why? Why are there so many words? So many words ..." and beg to go back to sleep.

for a different kind of girl said...

Some days, my kids have pajama days in school, and they HATE it. They refuse to wear their pajamas to school, even though (a) they have cool pajamas, and (b) everyone else is wearing pajamas, even the teachers.

I DREAM (if I were sleeping) of wearing my pajamas everywhere I go, so, aside from the fact they look like me, I can't understand where these kids and their no pajama wearing ways come from!

Susan said...

Oooh, I think we're sisters. What the hell is up with people who dare to speak before 11 am? Shut the f*%^ up! I drove my kids to Sunday School in my t shirt and robe yesterday. Totally commando. God Bless Me.

Heather said...

Morning is for losers.

MsPicketToYou said...

Sass: replace the MP and make it a Lil Sass one two and three and not much is different, 'cept the head under covers is harder to make lasting. but the three hours of sleep? yup. sucks.

♥ Braja said...

Now THAT, my dear Ms Picket, is what I call child rearin'...

♥ Braja said...

Bein' the humble kinda girl you are, I know you will shy away naturally from the Followers widget, but pls consider it because it makes life easy for me, and this is all about me. Isn't it?

Anonymous said...

Exercise is a foreign word, HAHAHAH ...aaaah, thanks for that, that laugh really woke me right up ... before lunch!

A Free Man said...

Morning blows. That is all.

So, what did you do in the music business? My curiosity is piqued.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

I will be the voice of dissent here and say that I'm a morning person. But that's because I sleep nine hours a night, so you'd better not call my house after 8:30 p.m.

And I don't wear my pajamas anywhere. Because they are old and ugly and I can't even pretend they are anything other than real pajamas. But sometimes I wear my flannel-lined jeans off the property, which is probably worse, because they make me look 30 pounds heavier than I really am and are also coated in Great Stuff foam from an unfortunate incident with my husband. Pretty.

Meredith said...

I too enjoyed the 'crack of ass' comment and I think I will be using that expression regularly moving forward.

Yeah, morning SUCKS for me too...I stay up way too late, every single night, wake up SWEARING I'm going to go to bed early...stay up too late again...the cycle that won't break.

Every day I pray I don't get in a car accident taking my kids to school so I won't have to stand in the street in my pajamas.

Lipstick Jungle said...

My ass dont crack that early either!

When school started this year I decided I would get up, be ready before the kids awoke, and make them breakfast (read: cereal).

The plan was wonderful for someone who can get out of bed at 6 am. I cannot. So instead I lay in bed and holla - "get up - get dressed - let the dog out - eat some cereal and let me know when its time to leave".

You think I am kidding?

Pj's are the new mom drop off attire. Most of my friends in this small town arrive in the same. Most of us never leave our cars. We text or call each other while watching our cherubs waddle into their perspective schools and then return home to get ready for our 9 am starts at our jobs.

I fight myself daily not to climb back into bed.

Lipstick Jungle said...

Oh, and the best solution to that need to get out of the car in ugly pj's? A long wool coat - with a hood for those especially bed heady days!

Major Bedhead said...

The reason I am constantly a raging bitch is because my children also wake up at the ass crack of dawn (or fivefuckingthirty, whichever comes first) every. goddamned. day. I'm tired. I'm not a morning person. and also? Am a raging bitch most days.

So I've commented to say that yeah, I hear ya.

Jen W said...

Maybe by the time GFYO has graduated from college, the term "casual Friday" at work will include pajamas. Wouldn't that be awesome?

Samantha said...

Such a good mom... who else can inspire a 4 year old to such high goals! You go pajama mom!

And hows his chin?

Anonymous said...

You're so brilliant Ms. Picket! Getting the little one into college already. Some mornings I walk across our driveway and into the barn to feed horses wearing my pajama bottoms, t-shirt, robe, barn coat, muck boots and dirty farm gloves. Hey, as long as they're getting fed, right?

MsPicketToYou said...

free man: i used to be Madonna.

MereCat said...

I love the line about after you finish college you can wear pajamas anywhere. I have to remember these creative little mindbenders for my soon to be inquriing little minds.

For Myself said...

GREEN with envy, I am.
Awesome writing too, by the way.
sigh

Anonymous said...

I totally knew, right when I read the college thing about pajamas, that he was thinking he is damn sure going to college. If only other parents out there knew it was that easy.

P.S. I. Loathe. Mornings.

Carolyn...Online said...

You're funny. And I'm glad to know you won't be trying to get me to participate in the morning yoga. Carolyn doesn't do mornings.

cIII said...

You see. This is exactly why I refuse to wear Underpants.

Like I need One more thing in the morning.

The Floydster said...

You kill me. Amen to all that has been said above.

Susan said...

Lucy is destined for a music industry career. Girl CANNOT get herself out of bed. And she's six.

patty said...

Oh man. I've been so wrong.

All these months I've been reading your blog, thinking I wanted you to be my friend.

Now I've realized that I WANT YOU TO BE MY MOM.