Saturday, December 20, 2008

What Yankees Learn From Snow and Slush

When it is ninety degrees and you are, say, pushing a double stroller holding a two year old and infant down a Small Town street and also lugging a four year old, no one will stop to make sure you get across the street. They will not slow down to make sure you negotiate the curb okay. They will not offer to carry your bags to the car or give your children a lollipop or stop to talk to you for longer than it takes to ask directions to the bar or the launch or the landing.

But when there is nearly a foot of snow on the ground, everything changes. Even though that first winter season with my three kids is a blur -- a snow-suited, boob feeding, missing mittened blur -- I remember the kindness of strangers. Now that my life is more frenzy than blur (they are 9, 7 and 4), the snow and the way people tend to be when it swamps the Small Town? It's the same.

People talk to each other more. Once the winds slow down and the day breaks into tolerable flurries, the neighbors come out. They chat over snow-plowed mountains in their driveways. They climb into dug out cars and mosey slowly down the road, watching for sledders and errants snowballers, and ask neighbors if they need anything from the store. People seem more comfortable just stopping by unannounced while wearing ear-flapped hats. (I think I offered one of 'em a hot dog today: a HOT DOG!)

At the book store which is a sweet block and half away and down a long steep road in which the so-called traction control on my car actually seemed to work (hallelujah), it was just more of the same. The season and the snow and the Small Town looking the part seemed to bring out the best in us all. 

When I opened the door on the street side, a box truck slowed down and pretty much stopped while I slogged through the slush to get my daughter. We couldn't get to the sidewalk and had to wade down the street, hugging the parked cars as if we were being searched, and the truck just waited. Waited! Waited for us to get to the sidewalk safely. No one beeped. Someone waved and smiled.

Once we got into the store, I sent my kid on her way to pick and choose. I advised a stranger/Gramma on books for an 8 year old. I think she would have hugged me and maybe even kissed me after I hooked her up, but we are yankees and we don't do that.

Instead, what we do is talk longer to one another in public places after a storm. We make eye contact like it's the first time we ever had eyes and then, we consider a stranger to be less strange. It's the best we do of intimacy and because of Mother Nature, we seize it when we can.

We get buried, we dig out, we eventually go out, and then when we do, we look around for other human beings because we have just survived and in that moment, we are equal. In some dysfunctional New England way, the snow that we love to moan about connects us. 

Not so much in a kissy lovey let's be all friendly and close kind of way, but in the way that we in New England roll.  When it snows, the Kid will help a neighbor shovel and I will make eye contact with strangers for real and all of us in the frostiest of times will know that underneath the gloves and scarves and hats and the everything that binds us and separates us, and is.. well, ugh.. it's just that it is: we like each other. A lot.

But we will never speak of it. Ever. Until it snows again.

18commentsBrilliant Person Wrote...

For Myself said...

That, and also nine months later there's a crowd at the local maternity ward. Everybody's doin' it today....

Samantha said...

perks of living in a small town... there are only a few! lol

unmitigated me said...

I live in a small neighborhood in a big town, and the same thing happens here in the neighborhood. There were absolute mobs of people pushing stuck cars yesterday, one after another. And helping the old folks with shoveling.

RhoRho said...

I think it's like that everywhere. Donno what it is, maybe, for that day(s), it's the one thing we all have in common- the Snow.?

minivan soapbox said...

That's interesting. I never thought about it before...But it happens here too. Could not be bothered to talk to someone when my makeup is melting off my face and my kid is a puddle of goo....But when it's snowing ... we stop and smile and wave.

The Floydster said...

"We get buried, we dig out, we eventually go out, and then when we do, we look around for other human beings because we have just survived and in that moment, we are equal." Maybe that's the reason for the smiles. In Southern California we have to wait for a fire or earthquake to bring out the neighborliness. I'd rather experience the snow, thank you very much!

Kristin @ Going Country said...

New York is not technically part of New England, which may explain why I have never really noticed any such camaraderie. That, and the fact that I never leave my house to interact with other people. Because I am a weird, reclusive freak like that.

Susan said...

I had this same thing happen in Denver when the city was shut down and the streets were open only to emergency vehicles and cross country skiers. It was so quiet, and city people have never been so friendly. I love that.

A Free Man said...

So what you're saying is perennial snow would result in world peace?

cIII said...

We don't receive much snow 'round here. Use to....but no so much now.

Now, it's mostly Rains and people turn into dimwitted Douchebags on 'Ludes.

I miss the Snow.

Will trade oatmeal Cookies for refreshing, fluffy, Snowman/woman, snow.

Jen W said...

Any homes for sale in your neighborhood? I'm sold!

Lipstick Jungle said...

And that is why we love it in our small town.

Our neighbor delivered a case of beers to my hub on Saturday night in a blizzard because he was sure we wouldnt be going anywhere (which we were), and thanked him AGAIN for blowing his driveway out for like the 10 millionth time this past week.

It was like a ballet of snowblowing on our block - neighbors helping neighbors and leaving their own driveways for last!

Its not New England, but its almost as good! (we have hangovers here however - do you have them there? If not, I will take the second available house for sale!)

Leslie said...

Free man is onto something.

It needs to snow in the Middle East. Quickly.

But, hmm, I'm pretty sure it snows in the Afghani/ Pakistani mountains and it's not working there.

Dang.

Heather said...

In the Midwest those smiles freeze up and then thaw in the spring.

Anonymous said...

It must be some sort of universal thing cause I notice it in truck stops, too. When we've all been driving through snow all day even the most surly trucker turns friendly.

Really we don't even have to be out driving in it. If you wake up in a truck stop where it snowed over-night somebody is going to hold the door open for you when you go inside. I find when this happens, it's best to resist pointing out that you are the same person that guy dumped his stale coffee on yesterday. :)

for a different kind of girl said...

This is a fantastic post, and you're so right. Even in the chao, people I've been working with and helping (the majority) have been absolutely kind, which really 'pays forward'.

I hope you and your family has a fantastic Christmas!

Momo Fali said...

See? Snow isn't just magic for kids...it works for adults too!

Carolyn...Online said...

Aww. See? I knew there was something good about snow and cold.