Monday, September 15, 2008

Big City, Green Lights

I've been twice to Boston in the last five days.

This is only worth mentioning because before that, it'd been a solid year since I hung there (excluding a couple Sox games and a few runs to the airport) and that strikes me as both telling and pathetic. Or pathetically telling, which is, you know, what I do...

The Kid set me up on the anniversary with a car and a babysitter so I could meet him for dinner. He had me at "babysitter" but the car was pretty fly too. Food was eaten. Champagne was sipped. Miller Lite was had -- and who knew they even served the swill at joints like that? But they do! They really do! They would not let me keep the bottle on the table, but bygones.

We hit up a bar in which I felt my June Cleaver meets a blonde Amy Winehouse might be less obvious and all I wanted was one of the glass mugs they hung above the bar with my own name etched into it.

The man behind me looked like a serial killer and while The Kid was in the bathroom, I imagined all kinds of strange and dangerous things about him. Then the bartender handed him his mug, etched with his name, and so I switched into imagining strange and dangerous things about me.

Three days later I drove my own ass to the City to meet a best friend from high school in on business from San Francisco. Two kids, a husband, saver of the world: if she wasn't so completely awesome, I would probably seethe with jealousy but mostly I just wanted to hug her and tell all my secrets. We told some, we ate some less than good food and drank a beer or two at a very lame sports bar.

I know! I meant to show her how Boston is sisters with Frisco but what with all the never actually going to Boston (anymore) (except to see BaldBlondeGirl), I just failed miserably. The conversation was an excellent distraction from my lameness in that department and also, I think the last time we were together here there, we were drinking canned Milwaukee's Best out of bathtub filled with ice. Might have been a bathtub in a really nice hotel (someone's dad was paying for) but still...

(Boarding school is so weird that way. The best part? You get so used to saying goodbye and hello again that distance and different lives matter so very little; you just pick up again like summer finished and carry on...)

We walked down the streets -- it was a Love Story kind of night, perfect weather, possibility everywhere -- and she said she could move here and I said I wish she would, not only to have her closer but because I knew she would most likely live in the city and then maybe, just maybe I could get my mojo back there (here? there?).

Like it used to be. Like when I knew all the coolest places to go and didn't feel funny and out of place. Like when I could walk the sidewalk in front of some dive bar/rock show venue and know people walking by. When I didn't grip her arm (or she mine) when the cars seemed too frisky in the crosswalk ("we can't die!" she said and she was right). When I was more happy about the lead singer not passing out on stage than I was about every green light I hit on the way home, which by the way, made me very, almost deliriously happy.

At dinner with The Kid, celebrating what turns out to be the Ivory Anniversary (he googled it, I didn't: note to future self: google next anniversary), he said, he considered pearls. I said, but I hate pearls -- hate them not so much as an idea or an item, but on me -- and he said, I know, but for a minute there I thought maybe you were over that and -- tiny fight ensued -- and I said I think I'm grown up but I still don't want to wear pearls and then -- another tiny fight ensued -- and we moved on.

(I think the waiter plunking down the bottle of Miller Lite helped to finish it off. It was a metaphor three dimensionally. And deliciously. And funny too. The ivory bag he decided on? YO!)

So, we moved on.

Like we all try to. Her job gets bigger, our kids get older, the gaps in our phone calls widen but we still know how to hang even though a couple years have passed since the last time. Our bills increase, our kids get older, the time that we spend alone seems to diminish by the minute but we still manage to make fun of serial killers. Because we roll like that, we always have, and it's starting to feel like we always will.

Those kind of changes, that seem to reap little change when you think about it, I like those changes. The other kind? The kind of change where you find yourself driving down a city street that is not your street anymore? And that will probably never be your street ever again?

It dawns on you driving home under a blaze of green lights that become both an omen and a reckoning -- because you realize how much you like being home after all and apparently some God of Traffic Lights knows that too -- but still? But still you wonder: do you even like music anymore anyway? Were you ever that girl who was completely at home backstage or at the bar giving out drink tickets, negotiating interviews, fending off without offending, knowing EXACTLY what she was talking about? Was that ever, in fact, you?

It dawns on you, on that short green-lit ride home, that secretly inside you felt all along like a girl from boarding school who was just playing the part. With nail polish.

And it dawns on you, suddenly, when you pull into your driveway, a driveway you helped to pay for, that you might be doing the same thing now.

That makes a girl all thinky and awkward. And quiet.

And turning up the radio, trolling the Itunes, cranking the Ipod. And writing it down.

23commentsBrilliant Person Wrote...

For Myself said...

Okay.

At first I thought you were taunting me just the tiniest little bit because I wish I could have been there.

And then I felt overwhelmed with happiness for you. That you maybe are feeling really YOU. Not pearlish you, not overly grown up you or fitting in to some sort of role you, but just you you. And that makes me so happy for you.

Because if I were you, I'd be so me.

Okay?

Peace.

graham's mom said...

Sigh. I miss Boston. Boston is my *home* - that place where, yes, even if it is all a facade that I create myself, I feel like everyone knows my name. When I have been back recently and don't know all the restaurants people keep talking about, I feel like a friend has turned her back on me. Sigh. I need to move back. I need to be back with MY BEANTOWN PEOPLE.

Anonymous said...

Just keyed in on your bar experience - imagining elaborate stories about your fellow patrons. I do this all the time - on the bus to work, when traveling, when out for a meal, at the beach. It's more fun that way!

Lovely writing.

MsPicketToYou said...

myself: you were instantly forgiven. and by instantly, I mean... instantly. also: is there a way a way to swallow you up and make you live in my house? cause that would be nice.

oh graham's mom: i get it. you have so much on your plate (and still write about politics so well and so thoughtfully) so someday, maybe, we'll troll the bars we love together.

Lipstick Jungle said...

You know, its like listening to people who live in Europe talk about other places in Europe they walk/train/bus/drive to and I get all "thats not fair, I want to do that too". Yep, that is what this is like. Its not fair that people can "drive" to Boston, or New York, or San Francisco, when it takes me an hour just to get to civilization let alone somewhere resembling kick-ass!

Oh, and the car and the babysitter? My husband wouldnt know what they were if they knocked on his forehead and said "hey mister, your wife would like this, it would get you out of that ever sinking deeper into that hole behind the shed dog house you are living in". But no... if I am lucky I get a card and a peck on the cheek and a roll over grunt-fart-g'nite honey.

Im not jealousenviousbitter. Nope. I dont roll that way! Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

I was starting to miss you and calculatin' the cost of gas and the miles it would take to come over there and say YO wassup with this no postin for almost a week anyway?? But then I wouldnt really do that because I would get in the east coast vacinity and not know where to go next.

Jen W said...

Sometimes I think we (most people) never fully feel like they are 100% themselves. I like to think that's because we are constantly evolving as people and learning more every day about who we are.

Jen W said...

Oh, and I forgot! Happy Anniversary to you and The Kid!

Heather said...

Sigh. I know that tune very well. You seem further on your path than before and I hope you feel comfortable.

Major Bedhead said...

Were you at Bukowski's?

I never feel like I'm myself. If I have to meet with a teacher, I feel like a kid being called to the principal's office. I could go on, but suffice it to say, most of the time, I feel like an 11 year-old who's somehow fooled everyone into thinking she's a grownup.

Carolyn...Online said...

Ms. Picket - It's just that you're too smart. Ignorant peeps don't wonder about self or evolution or change. Does that make you feel better?

Sending you a mental Miller Lite.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx said...

Boston, eh? Methinks that we should meet up for a drink and a laugh - but not in Boston. Near Boston?

I'm in MA, too!

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Yeah, but isn't that what life is all about? Playing parts? All the world's a stage, etc., etc., etc.

Crank the music HIGHER. It'll make everything better.

cIII said...

Damn, Picket. All deep and Shit. The past Us and the now Us meet in a sort of Burrito Time and Space Dimension. Edges overlaping. Holding us together. Making us Whole.

Leslie said...

Thank god the shaking has stopped...Picket withdrawl sucks.

And you returned in such a magnificent, exceptional way.

I've never felt more fakey than I do in trying to guide these almost-adults who are living in my house. I'm forming real peoples, should I be allowed to do that? Me? Really? When do I finish forming me?

Susan said...

Ooooh, good post. Who doesn't wonder these things? I mean, I don't, but only when I'm not thinking. Reminded me of a vonnegut line in Mother Night - something about being who we pretend to be (so be careful who we pretend to be).

Anonymous said...

Ok -- is it just me or are there bunch of us girls thinking...who is this amazing husband, and can my husband follow him around for a while as a sort of husband-in-training, 'cause my guy needs a few pointers?

I mean really -- hired a babysitter, sent a car, googled which anniversary it was AND THEN acted on it?!? Holy shit!

Oh...and I'm totally with you on missing the city, the clubs, etc. I married a rock musician, had the apartment in the city, lived in the clubs because I was "with the band," and now I'm married to a finance guy (Yup -- same husband, go figure), have the house-kids-dog thing going in the burbs, and live in my SUV going from one kid activity to the other.

But, having that previous life gives you an edgy thing that you never lose, no matter how many PTO meetings you go to. You get that boost from remembering the crazy stuff you did, and can call on that wild-girl energy whenever you need it most. ROCK ON P.!

Anonymous said...

I have 3 things to say about this:

1. I have never in my life been as lost as I was in Boston. And I don't mean existentially lost, I mean LOST lost. When people say, don't try to drive in Boston, they, uh... mean it. It also took a remarkable amount of time for me to figure out what MAAAASSS AAAAVE was. Even longer to realize it was all diagonalish. I never did figure out how it was able to disappear and reappear in other places... This is what I think about most, when I think of Boston.

2. We mutate, some of us, so much throughout out lives and go (come) so far from what we were, that it's easy to see ourselves as incarnations or characters of ourselves. Parodies of ourselves, sometimes. You were you then. You were real. Don't take that from yourself.

3. I love this line:

That makes a girl all thinky and awkward.

Because... totally.


Great post Ms. P, really.

Samantha said...

I just want to be as cool as you when I grow up.

Kevin McKeever said...

It's sexy when you get all thinky.

Meg said...

Yeah, it's sexy but I'm depressed now. Too close to home (except I drink better beer).

Meg said...

And nicely written, btw.

Anonymous said...

Pearls are definitely not you... and I mean that in a good way....

Anonymous said...

Very thinky indeed. And a happy Ivory one -- today's our willow/pottery (thanks, The Kid, for being thinky enough in your own way to drive me to Google it), although in all honesty I'm pretty sure I'm going to fall short of his "buying a color-appropriate accessory" follow-through.